Prevx 3 and XP taskbar problems

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by jfbooth, Mar 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfbooth

jfbooth Registered Member

I have my taskbar set to AUTO HIDE and KEEP ON TOP OF OTHER WINDOWS.

With 3.0 installed .. often .. the taskbar is not viewable .. like on a full screen browser window or even if the window is not full screen but positioned into the taskbar space. The taskbar will rise BEHIND the window. Thing is .. it does not do it all the time. For example .. with a browser page open and full screen, I cannot see the task bar when I mouse down to it. Change the size of the window so that it is above the task bar .. the task bar will appear. Move the window into the taskbar space, and it is covered by the Window. Minimize the window to the taskbar. Reopen it, and everything works OK .. for a while. Close browser .. reopen browswer .. and the problem may or MAY NOT go away.

I have reported this to Support .. but not getting much of a response. They asked for a log, .. told me to uninstall, download, and reinstall which I did .. no resolution. I uninstalled .. cannot reproduce the problem. The product is not currently installed. Thought I might find some help here in the forum.

EDIT: XP Home SP3 and IE8

2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Hello,
    Could you please try changing the SafeOnline configuration from Maximum to High and then reboot your PC? This should allow Windows Explorer to access Internet Explorer when a secured website is open - an action that is generally blocked by SafeOnline.

Let me know your results!

3. jfbooth

Thank you for your quick reply. I did exactly as you requested .. and SO FAR, no problems .. but the problem is intermittant and unpredictable. Would like to spend a day testing .. and if problem recurs, I will post back to this thread.

Doesn't reducing the configuration from Max to High reduce the amount of protection? Seems a bit of an odd solution to the taskbar problem.

4. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

This just lowers some aspects of screen grabber protection but they are blocked by the antimalware components of Prevx.

Let me know either way if it does or does not recur!

5. jfbooth

Your suggestion seems to have fixed the problem .. been testing hard for a couple of hours. THANK YOU .. very much. Your comment about lowering protection is reassuring .. but I don't really understand it. I gather that ultimately, the protection is NOT particularly compromised.

Perhaps MAX setting will work well on a future release. Thank you again for your time and expertise.

EDIT: %@@$% it's doing it again. I have a full screen IE8 window .. and the task bar will not appear.

Any other suggestions??

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  6. jfbooth

I should clarify something . when I say 'full screen', I mean maximized. I never new about 'full screen (F11) until a few minutes ago. I have never used F11 before just now finding out about it. Therefore, I can't say the problem occurs FULL SCREEN .. I have never seen the problem FULL SCREEN. Just thought I would clarify that.

And .. by the way, I just now went full screen and got the task bar. I have reinstalled 3.0 and put it back to Max settings .. since that did not (apparently) fix the problem.

THEN I went OUT OF FULL SCREEN to Maximized and BOOM .. no task bar. Now .. down from Maximized and GET the task bar (with the window IN the taskbar space). Back to maximized .. no task bar. Did some more testing .. and NOW, maximized .. I DO get the task bar. Like I said . it is random .. no apparent pattern. Maddening.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  7. jfbooth

I am fairly sure I fixed the problem. It hasn't happened since I found a 'taskbar reset' utility on the Internet. FYI, it is called 'Restore to XP Default" and it is found here:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm

Please consider this thread as SOLVED.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.