Prevx 3.0 or DefenseWall, im confused which to recommend.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Lebowsky, Mar 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

I find this quite amusing, he doesn't trust Microsoft, but appearently he does trust Google as he uses Chrome.

2. MaxEntropy

MaxEntropy Registered Member

Maybe he should try Sandboxie (either in addition to or instead of DW/Prevx). Then he can use whatever browser and visit whatever sites he likes without getting infected.

It's worth trying the browser protection with the free version of Sandboxie. The paid version can run pen drives as 'Forced Folders' to prevent infections via that route.

3. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

How about Prevx free and Returnil or Shadow Defender. Returnil alerts then a reboot gets rid of the malware.

4. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Yes, I do not understand his reasons either, anyway he thinks Google can't data mine his web behaviour because he removed the session ID o_O

5. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

You smart :ouch: :ouch: , never came to my mind. :thumb:

6. Threedog

I forgot about that one myself. Of course the thing to this is "if" you know what you are doing with the rollback feature.

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

DefenseWall is capable of rolling back your system to the previous state like nothing happen like deleting the sandbox in sandboxie;) i tested the rollback feature i downloaded tons of malware yestarday i tested 2 program pc armor which is similar to defensewall and defensewall and the 2 programs did what they are make for to roll back the system to a clean state with out any problems:thumb::)
    defensewall and hitman pro free will be a good combo:)

8. waters

waters Registered Member

Not like sandboxie,some important things can go ,use with caution

9. syk69

syk69 Registered Member

jmonge do you use more then 1 web browser? I was curious because I was trying out defensewall 3 and I kept getting an error whenever I switched web browsers. Its like it wouldnt let the current one become the default or something like that. Also didn't like that if I download a file and save it on my desktop it doesn't have any indication that its untrusted or trusted. For example when using Geswall there's a little G on the icon to let me know the current status if its isolated or not. I tried switching from untrusted which is the default to trusted but there was no way of knowing unless i went to the properties of that file.

Also the rollback feature is nice but what if you have safe programs installed after the rollback point then you lose your safe programs? Or once they are safe do they get excluded from that rollback list? And how big exactly does that rollback list get? Is there a limit? Do programs automatically get deleted if you don't change to safe status after a while?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  10. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i use ie6:D only

11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

you dont loose any thing as your safe programs are trusted rigth?it is for the untrusted files/registry and ofcourse read before deleting:D
    i never had any problems when using the rollback feature:)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  12. Threedog

Totally agree. Jmonge is a Defensewall Guru so he can get away with it where a user with lesser knowledge can get into trouble real quick like.

13. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

and yes you can set the rollback list to be deleted automaticly

14. Threedog

I would be nervous of that option. Might accidentaly delete something that you would not want to delete.

15. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

2 years without any problems;) it really works and if it is alone it is even better less problems also:)

16. Threedog

I trust Defensewall and Ilya's work. It's myself I don't trust. :argh:

17. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

18. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

It doesn't delete recent stuff -- only stuff equal to or greater than 30 days old. FIFO

19. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Registered Member

Thanks for the informative replys, the folks here are wilders really go all out and examine every facet of the question, and the exchange of ideas is very fertile out here!
    My friend is trying out Prevx for now, he might buy it after the trial finishes.
    He is testing DefenseWall on his daughters PC. I think he will be surprised to see how well it performs.

20. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

One thing he should know is that Prevx in "Trial" only blocks very easy malware or adware. In order to really be protected by the software he needs to buy it.

21. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

i go to defensewall with no hesitate :thumb:

22. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

The trial/free version of Prevx detects everything that is detected by the paid version. However, the free version only alerts you to a malware intrusion. It does not block it or clean it. The paid version will block & clean the malware.

For further information, read THIS thread in the Prevx forum -- especially post #5.

Also read THIS post by the Prevx Moderator, which I quote in part as follows:

That is why I suggest a combo of Defense Wall (DW) + Prevx-free. DW isolates/untrusts all stuff garnered from threatgates (browsers, email clients, etc).

You can then use DW to "Rollback" (i.e., delete) any of the untrusted stuff that you do not want to keep. Obviously, you will want to rollback any & all malware that is in the untrusted repository -- but DW does NOT DETECT malware, per se.

That's where Prevx-free comes in. Prevx-free will detect the malware within DW's untrusted bin. You can then rollback (i.e., delete) the nasty stuff. Bingo -- the best of both worlds.

23. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

good ideas;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.