Prevx 2 does have issues

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by trjam, Jun 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I was hesitant to post this, but must. Some of the posts at Castlecops are right on the money. The one issue I can atest to is for some reason it is hanging when doing the program scan. It basically locks your PC. I have taken off every security program that might cause this but it still happens. It will install and do the quick scan at the top right of your screen, but when it starts the program scan it usally locks before 25 percent. So as good as some of you think, there are major issues. This was not seen in beta testing.

2. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hello Trjam,

I tell yeah the 1's & 0's are all crazy! Just did a program san with Prevx2, no problem. Mine is set to da a program scan at start-up, also I run i 'ABC' mode. One thing I did notice sometimes after an update, I get an error msg something about a 'cmd' blah blah, or it could be about a script error. Anywho Prevx is a keeper.

Take Care
    Rico

3. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Tried to install it into a vm where only Sandboxie is installed and inactive.

Hung at 95% installed for a couple of minutes, threw up a warning and finally installed but another warning that it couldn't start some prevx service.

Uninstalled - reinstalled, same thing.

Going on other users experience it is a good app but I will wait a bit and try a later version.

4. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I don't mind hearing the good and bad of new versions. I welcome it. I also have been reading a little at CC's for the past couple of months. I'm still waiting for the dust to settle before committing. I'm really encouraged by the positive replies I see and I know this will be a good addition to my setup. When the screaming slows, I will give it a shot for sure.

5. Durad

Durad Registered Member

Start/Run type CMD and press Enter.

Type this:

chkdsk /f/r

click Enter

Let it restart and it will perform disk check.

If you have bad sectors or drive read problems it may cause problem that you have.

6. stubbs100

stubbs100 Registered Member

Hi Guys,

It's been unfortunate but we had a serious issue with the latest network driver on some systems which caused this issue. We have identified and fixed this issue in the latest (Prevx2.0 v1.0.1 build 25). The best approach is to uninstall the release you have problems with and reinstall from www.prevx.com the latest.

We are sorry for any problems this release has caused you.

Regards,

Prevx Support

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Reinstalled this morning and indeed it is fix. Good work Prevx.;)

8. awesome1

awesome1 Registered Member

Runtime Error with Prevx2?

I don't know if anyone else has had this error, but as soon as I install Prevx2 on EITHER my desktop or Laptop I get the following error when I shut down either machine:

Runtime Error

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

R6025
    Pure virtual function call

This only happens with Prevx2 cause when I uninstall it there is no errors on shut down. Today I even used my laptop recovery discs to completly reinstall Windows on it & then apply all the updates including SP2 & then installed Prevx2 as my ONLY security to test it and back came the runtime error on shutdowno_O

Can anyone help in explaining this issue cause Prevx1 was fine & I have used the latest Prevx2 build: Am using XP Home on laptop & XP Pro on desktop both are fully updated.

9. muf

muf Registered Member

I have the same thing. Prevx are aware of it. See here:
    http://info.prevx.com/knownissues.asp

muf

Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
  10. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

Runtime Error

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

R6025
    Pure virtual function call

^^^^So that's what's causing my computer to do that, damn this has been happening ever since I had prevx2 and I didn't think it would be that.

11. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Hello members.

Out of curiosity, is Prevx2 the first release that includes Vista compatibility or not. Reason for my question is that i'm trying to poll as many security apps as possible that used to be so stable but have suddenly been experiencing issues for users and i highly suspect it has to do with the programming code to make these programs compatible on BOTH Vista & XP.

Thanks for feedback. Hope they get matters ironed out soon for everyone.

12. innerpeace

Easter, draw your own conclusions from this link http://info.prevx.com/downloadprevx2.asp it looks like there are 2 versions, but I'm not sure how much code they share.

IMO, Vista has caused many headaches for users and programmers. The more complicated they make things, the more us XP users and others have to suffer. Hopefully, when $M introduces their next OS, the programmers say NO, and instead write Linux versions :).

13. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Indeed and thanks. For the life of me i really don't see why so many users seem to think they have the best and the latest with Vista when all it's done is caused myriads of problems. If folks would back off from it and looks like many have, $M might finally take the hint, but then again i doubt it. When you're that laden down with so much excess to splurge like $M, then it probably doesn't matter to them if half the world's Vista systems bluescreen regularly or not because they can always announce Vista Patch # whatever and so forth.

I'm just glad i didn't shell out for it. I'm perfectly content like many others to sit tight with XP and enjoy Vista programs ported to XP so far as Aero Style and all that eye candy enhancements.

14. ghiser1

ghiser1 Developer

The vast majority of code (>95%) is shared amongst all versions of Prevx 2.0. The differences lie only in areas where it is necessary - this is mainly in the area of kernel drivers; especially on 64-bit Vista.

Actually, we have found very few areas (apart from the drivers) that need to change for Vista. The areas that needed to change relate to the starting of services after the initial automatic start on boot (which non-admin users and non-elevated admin users aren't allowed to do - just like limited and guest users on XP), certain uses of shared memory for interprocess communication when initiated by non-admin processes, and performing updates to software and drivers.

The biggest bug-bear is UAC; which is why for the moment you are asked to disable UAC when using Prevx 2.0 Beta for Vista.

15. fax

fax Registered Member

Hi!
    will you announce (here or at Castlecops forum) when you will have a "UAC friendly" Prevx for VISTA?

Thanks,
    Fax

16. innerpeace

Thank you ghiser1 for giving a clear explanation. I meant no harm in what I was saying. I just meant that I 'feel' for all the programmers in trying to deal with the new OS and working around its 'new and improved' features. It's seems obvious to me that making things Vista compatible has taken some time (not just Prevx), and some still are struggling.

I'm not going to pretend that I know much about Vista or programming, but IMO, the ONLY good I see from Vista is that my XP software may eventually be able to run in a limited user account. I don't plan on switching anytime soon. To me the UAC is a band-aid and is a PITA. This is just coming from what I read on the forums. I really do sympathize with anyone writing Vista compatible software.

I am taking a long hard look at Prevx2 as it would make a nice addition/replacement in my security setup. It would be like having the power of a super computer malware analyzer available to my machine.

17. gberns

gberns Registered Member

I have a different problem with Prevx2 and Vista. It stops RollbackRX from loading correctly to the point where it does not take snapshots or allow access to Rollback's control panel at least 75% of the time. Problem went away as soon as I stopped loading Prevx. In my setup Rollback was more important that Prevx and so it stays disabled even though I have over a year and a half to go on paid license time.

18. ghiser1

ghiser1 Developer

Absolutely ;)

19. ghiser1

ghiser1 Developer

Don't worry. I know where you're coming from. Hope I wasn't too blunt. I was just trying to get the facts out :cool:

20. fax

fax Registered Member

Thanks.... :cool:
    Fax

21. innerpeace

Nope, were cool :cool:. I like facts, especially from the horses' mouth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.