Prevx 2.0 & New Prevx CSI

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Hermescomputers, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

Hi,

Can anyone explain why I had to purchase Prevx CSI to remove an infection when I had a registered and up to date copy of Prevx 2.0 on the infected computers... Both these Prevx 2.0 Licenses are less than 6 months old...

Also why is it that this infection is not detected by prevx 2.0?
    Why should someone need to pay to have it removed under those circumstances?
    Is Prevx abandoning those clients in favor of the new CSI clients?

See Post: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1177759&postcount=243

I have many customers who either purchased Prevx 2.0 from me or because of my advice. How do I explain this situation to them?
    That I cant clean this infection unless they purchase another prevx product instead of the one that was supposed to have protected them in the first place?

Please advise...

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I think as some have said 2.0 is dead and CSI is the future. But hey, I could be wrong. I have never really understood the approach by the developers at Prevx.

3. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

Sounds intresting o_O I really wanna see their answer.

4. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

What was the infection?

5. Hermescomputers

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  6. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

Hmmmmmmm I will be watching this thread too. I just recently purchased Prevx 2.0 looking at it from a realtime protection point of view. I am starting to wish I had gotten CSI instead now but I am not going to plunk down more money for that. If I find that 2.0 is just wasting cpu time and not going to give me any protection I will just dump it and take it as a lesson learnt.

7. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

I just wish that I were the ONLY one that sounds off the alarm: Prevx2 has matured, it is just collecting CPP (sort of Canadian Pension Plan) from users now.

The reply from Prevx folks will set off a tsunami, if not properly phased.

Take care and good luck.

8. Threedog

Maybe it's just on EI and taking a break. :D

9. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,
    EI ? to be called back may be a big question mark. Hope it will not collect permanent disability benefits :rolleyes:

10. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

With Prevx "not ok" any longer (hidden message there, folks), I favor Threatfire as the (currently) most reliable behavior-blocker-plus-community app.

11. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i will continue to use Prevx 2.0 and be happy with it ;)

12. Hermescomputers

Sorry to interject here but Prevx is far from "Not Ok" bellgamin, in fact it's a formidable tool that has proven itself to me multiple time. This is more about the business tactic inherent with the new CSI release.

13. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,
    My contract with Prevx2 expires in 2 months. Was a money well spent until very recently. I have no regret of enlisting its service, just feel sad that it has drift away, away and away.

The final nail on its co-- may come any sooner before we know.

Take care. As to Prevx's status...... HOLD.

14. Threedog

Hermes...I know you get to see more action from the both of them than I do...and I hope that stays that way! :D But in your opinion between CSI and 2.0, which would you be more apt to recommend.

15. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

16. Hermescomputers

Well... On my end it's a bit premature to make an assessment as new the CSI came out just a few days ago...

I'll just hold my peace for now on this one.

17. EraserHW

EraserHW Malware Expert

Prevx 2.0 and Prevx CSI are two different products. They share a common database but differ massively from an agent perspective. Prevx 2.0 provides real time protection, CSI does not. Due to timing it is possible that CSI would find a recent infection that Prevx 2.0 did not detect. This can happen for many reasons. But an example scenario might help. Let's assume that your PC has had a new program installed/dropped. The program has never been executed. You then scan your PC with CSI, it detects that the program is new to the Prevx Database and uploads a sample for analysis, or someone else runs CSI and the sample is uploaded before it is run on your PC. That analysis by our researchers determines the program is malicious. You scan again a few minutes later and the program is flagged as malicious and detected by CSI, it would also be detected at that point by Prevx 2.0, if it was executed.

Now to your question on should you have to pay for CSI when you have Prevx 2.0. Prevx CSI is a totally different product designed to do different things to Prevx 2.0. You can use Prevx CSI for detection free of charge. If you already have Prevx 2.0 and it does not detect something that CSI has found and flagged as malicious then inform us via support and we will of course investigate it free of charge. This way you get the best of both products for the price of one!

However, be aware that Prevx CSI has been developed as an additive layer of detection and security. It's scan speed and clean up engine have strengths and weaknesses as does Prevx 2.0, and as do all other security applications.

It would be useful, if anyone encounters any issues, if you go directly to our support team. We are generally fast with answering inquiries and are always interested in improving our products as best as we can. This is a critical element in helping us to know if something is not working as expected. It is impossible to anticipate every single issue. It takes real world input to help us fix any issue which could arise.

I hope this clarifies the situation.

Marco

18. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

hmm, CSI new version?

when does 2.0 get a new one?

-----

also, all these CSI threads,

at a quick glance, it looks like people keep talking about me. ;)

19. trjam

trjam Registered Member

2.0 is the new one.:rolleyes:

20. ako

ako Registered Member

You are absolutely sure the rootkit files were not fps?

21. Biscuit

As far as I was aware, CSI does not scan for rootkits, whereas Prevx2 does. Maybe this is incorrect?

From EraserHW's reply, is it recommended that Prevx2 users also run CSI scans? If so, why? As far as I was aware, Prevx2 runs a quick scan after boot-up. Is this not the same type of scan as would be run by CSI?

22. Hermescomputers

Well, actually no. The scan simply called the infection "Malicious Rootkit Detected" and forced me to purchase the "license" in order to clean it. Before Purchasing I scanned with GMER and Manually looked around but found nothing. Given what I do with my box I couldn't take a chance on things so I forked out the $$$ and allowed the "new" scanner to mop whatever it was it said it found...

However the cleanup was tedious and took multiple reboots... I had to completely wipe system restore to get rid of the bugs. None of the programs I use have lost functionality as a result of the "cleanup" so whatever it has "Cleaned" caused no damage...

Marco from prevx is looking at the logs... waiting for his verdict.

23. ako

ako Registered Member

Please inform us for the results.

24. Montpellier

Montpellier Registered Member

Just to confirm - CSI does scan for and remove rootkits, as Hermescomputers has explained. :)

From the Prevx homepage:

25. Biscuit

Thanks for the clarification. I stand corrected! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.