Prevx 2.0 & Avast

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by deanmartin, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deanmartin

deanmartin Registered Member

I just bought Prevx 2.0 and have Avast. both have whats called a network protection(prevx) & network shield(Avast). Im just your avg joe on not being aware of if it's ok to leave both enabled or turn one of them off. ( just the network ) Would anyone have any advice, and i also have PCtools firewall if that makes any difference. Thank you

2. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Here's what is says about Avast's Network Shield. I'm assuming that one should/could use this if your on a network or in other words if you have more than one computer connected through a router. Correct me if I'm wrong. It looks as if this shield can be disabled if you only have one computer connected to the net or if all your computer's all have there own 2-way firewalls.
    http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html#22

I'm not sure about Prevx's network shield. I can't find any info on their site. I tried it for 30 days long ago, but darned if I can remember anything about it. Here's a link at their forum that may help a little. http://www.castlecops.com/postlite201760-network protection.html

I'm not sure If you should or could run Prevx's network shield with your current firewall. Someone else will have to help with that.

3. deanmartin

Thank You Innerpeace, This did help me i'll leave avast shield on just for the heck of it and disable prevx network shield. cause this is the only pc i have and with a software firewall. Thank You Again.

4. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

The IDS of Avast was developed to stop worms like Nimda, Code Red, SQL Slammer and the like, before the existence of a default ON firewall on Windows (XP SP2)

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

erm, leave both on.

dont disable anything.

6. deanmartin

There both on, Thanks guy's.

7. lucas1985

If he has a personal firewall (including the one built-in into XP and Vista) the NS is redundant.

8. BILL G

BILL G Registered Member

Windows XP Firewall replacing Avast NS. What am I missing here? I thought NS Compares to a Blacklist.

9. lucas1985

The malware prevented by the NS is also prevented by a personal firewall (and even a router, if you trust the machines on the LAN section)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.