Previous Protection with PG v3?

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Baldrick, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi there o_O

Having been following the threads on the new version of Process Guard with interest. Have downloaded the public beta and was about to uninstall v2, install v3, etc. taking care to delete the elements as advised in the threads when it dawn on me tat I have seen nothing relating/referring to (i) whether or not you can keep your prevoius protection rules & checksums or whether you have to effectively start again, and (ii) if you can keep them, how you achieve this?

Are there files to be copied away and them replaced in the key folders, etc.
    If anyone out there can answer this question (assuming that it is not a silly one) then I would be most grateful.

Best regards

Baldrick :D

2. Tatersalad

Tatersalad Registered Member

Baldrick,

No, the pguard.dat, pghash.dat files are not compatable with v3. But the good news is v3 it's much easier to configure.
    Learning mode learns everthing now, so be careful :rolleyes:

3. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Baldrick

No you can not use any thing from PG v2.0, there is a post about it in the PROCESSGUARD V3 thread start by INFINITY

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

4. Andreas1

Andreas1 Security Expert

Hi Baldrick.

Unfortunately the format in which the new version stores its data is fundamentally different from the previous one - and there's no conversion option.

However, the new learning mode is very powerful - the programs that you launch while in learning mode are not only added automatically to the security/checksumming list, but also to the protection list. And all the privileges these programs are requesting, they will be granted (in learning mode).
    So you launch your common apps and they will be added to the protection list with good default privileges. When an app, say needs to install a global hook, the default privileges are extended for this app to cover that privilege as well. When you are done with running those apps (I have 125 now in my protection list, after having removed some - and it took me some 20 minutes or so to launch them all), you reboot or exit learning mode otherwise and your new settings are fine. Maybe - but only if you're perfectionist there - you can do some hand-tweaking to narrow your settings down a bit, but you will already have a setup that will hardly ever bother you.

HTHH,
    Andreas

5. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi there All :rolleyes:

Many thanks for taking the trouble to respond. Obviously missed the bit about lack of compatability between v2 & v3. Sounds as if Learning Mode is pretty powerful but that it may be wse to do a full Anti Virus, Trojan & Spyware scan before enabling it.............just in case anything has crept in, or to go to it manually which will take quite a while I suspect.

I will have a think about this one.

Best regards

Baldrick :cool:

6. Andreas1

Andreas1 Security Expert

That's a thing you should do anyway. PG can't protect you from malevolent drivers that have been installed already. (Or if it does, then only because that particular piece of malware doesn't make use of the advantage of having been installed prior to PG.) Much of the security you gain by having PG on your comp depends on it being installed on a clean machine, so you should be taking all possible steps to make sure of this.

Probably you knew that, but it can't hurt to have it mentioned once more. ;)

CU,
    Andreas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.