Preview of Outpost 2010 features

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by CogitoTesting, Dec 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

I think Agnitum just posted this on their blog. Here are the new features and improvements of Outpost 2010. Public beta soon.

http://agnitumblog.blogspot.com/

Thanks.

2. guest

guest Guest

Sounds quite good, but is a problem now is going to be even harder chose btw comodo v4 and outpost 2010 :doubt:

3. CogitoTesting

Well then, it is quite good to have problems :D.

4. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

Nice interface:thumb:
    improved features:thumb:

5. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Agnitum had been quiet so long, that I actually thought they had bitten the dust.

Welcome changes to the suite. They say Improved Anti-Malware engine. If its still the same VB engine its going to be mediocre. Other features seem as building box for Outpost Sandbox. UI changes are welcome OSS popups are not really informative for novice users. And if they can make the HIPS quiet and effective it will be a great win for Agnitum.

6. CogitoTesting

Their anti-virus engine is not all VirusBuster, as a matter of fact Agnitum has its own anti-malware engine (spyware, rogue, etc.). The prospective 2010 features are more based upon prevention then detection. In my opinion it is a good route to take if one needs to be safe online.

All in all I'm very excited about the suite prospective new feature and the 2010 version will be very competitive.

Thanks.

7. Julian

Julian Registered Member

One major improvement is that the HIPS is now able to stop reading out files or registry keys. A nice feature, but I suppose it's easily to implement once you have a solid HIPS architecture. Kaspersky has this since version 8. Nevertheless I hope that Agnitum will use this feature more intelligent than Kaspersky.

8. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

9. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

IMHO they are not real informative what so ever, probably the worst pop-ups from any firewall i've used. I really hope these are improved a lot, otherwise 2010 will be a big let down.

10. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

ye that was my only complaint with Outpost, they need to improve their alerts for sure.

11. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Nothing in there to imply better packet filtering or an update to its outdated attack plugin.

Another firewall lost to the "Leak test prevention applications"

12. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Yes, I read this marketing announcement and saw nothing in it that interested me yet.

It lacks detail, but I suggest reserving judgment FWIW til the actual product emerges. Example for me is on the 64 bit version I cannot save settings. Now that is a already a reported bug so we wait. Meanwhile I can recover settings via file recovery system in Paragon.

What these marketing guys do is try to hold the existing customer base with leaked information and prevent new customers from jumping ship to vendor y. I doubt the idea works.

If things do not improve on filtering I will revert to optimizing the W7 imbedded FW no matter how much effort it takes in 2010.

13. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Hmmm...should you do so Escalader, maybe you might consider posting a guide here :D

14. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Hurrah!!!
    They are improving only the hips and antimalware components. :rolleyes:
    The only components of outpost that I do not use... :rolleyes:

I agree with stem... another previously great firewall bites the dust.:thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:

...if only I could get my hands on matousec... :p :D

Panagiotis

15. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Yes, Rainwalker I will consider it. If that is my direction after I do some off line PM'ing I would want to do that as a learning thread as before. I would be the "learner" and others would "correct me as I stumbled forward".

The nearest thread here to that would be the Vista and XP FW setup threads. Sorry I don't have the links handy.

Thing is I loose the HIPS features and the id blocking stuff.

16. Technic

Technic Registered Member

They are cashing out some customers like me. They do not offer any updates concerning new versions. I paid for lifetime update and the latest version is from sept. :'(

17. Julian

Julian Registered Member

And there's a need of action. The HIPS on Seven x64 is really horrible.

18. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

you get lifetime version updates dont you?

where is it said you dont?

19. CogitoTesting

They are not cashing in like you said. The 2010 is coming and the reason and Agnitum main idea is to iron out most if not all the 2009 version's bugs before coming out with the 2010 version.

20. Technic

This is Wilders. I think there is no official version for W7 yet. No chances to test 2010 version. User support forum for OP Pro is one of the unfriendliest I have ever visited.

Furthermore, updates for what?

21. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Check it out: http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/download.php

Agnitum had been experiencing problems with many beta testers (if this is what you're referring to) sending too few, or even no, bug reports, so they've had to tighten their selection process.

I have found them to be amongst the most professional, especially the long term incumbents.

22. Technic

Good. Lucky you. :-*

23. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

the program it self, i know you have to download each version but def files for the realtime get downloaded.

24. nhamilton

nhamilton Registered Member

If FW companies target to improve them self based on matousec tests, then we neeed some one who does real tests on the actual packet filtering capabilites, then you will have the companies competeing to be the top of that list as well. Once you start measuring things then people know where they need to improve. If matousec is the only way they can easily demenstrate that one is better then another, then can you blame them on focusing on improving in these metrix.

25. guest

guest Guest

Would be a really good idea if somebody can do a serious test of the packet filtering capabilites, maybe matousec would want to publish them in the website.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.