Prevention techniques against keyloggers!!!!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Kernelwars, Aug 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

Hi Guys,
    I invite all the security minded folks here at wilders to bring out the techniques and possible ways to stop the lurking threat of keyloggers and help keep them away..
    Thanks,
    kernel

2. eugene91

eugene91 Registered Member

use Prevx SafeOnline ?

3. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Ditto. Safe online stopped a fake login for facebook. It was a link from an email that was sent to me. I must have been half asleep because I followed the link and started to put in my info. Safe online chirped up and said that the link and the site weren't matching. It came up as a redirect phishing site. It works well, thats all I can say.

4. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

How about one of those Antikeylogger thingys :D Or even better, don't allow apps to run you're not sure of ;)

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I agree -- to an extent. As the name infers, SOL works ONLY online. Further, SOL will protect keystrokes typed into a secured web browser (i.e. one that's on an HTTPS website).

As to offline protection, one would want an anti-malware program of some sort that will protect you from installing a keylogger ( or keylogger-type trojan) in the first place.

However, what if a keylogger-bearing trojan manages to get past your other protection? AFAIK, if you are working offline, SOL doesn't protect you. If you are working online with a non-Prevx-protected browser (e.g., K-meleon), then you are, again, on your own. If you are working at a non-HTTPS website, you are, once again, on your own with respect to SOL.

For PGP offline or online, under any & all circumstances, versus an active keylogger infection -- Online Armor is pretty good. Spyshelter & Zemana Antilogger are also pretty good.

Also good -- use a firewall that blocks any & ALL outbound connections that you do not specifically authorize ad hoc. REALLY blocking all unauthorized outbounds will almost certainly emasculate a keylogger infection & prevent it from being able to do any real harm.

6. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

I can confirm that Zemana Antilogger is very good having tested it against various KL's and specific tests, and Also Prevx SafeOnline PSOL as well. The good news is they do work together, slight overlap in some areas, but you are still covered by at least one of them. I'm running both very happily ;)

With PSOL you can manually add in protection for non HTTPS www's

pk.gif

Spyshelter is also highly rated on here, though i havn't tried it, yet.

You can try all of these, and more for free, and then test them and see which you prefer etc :thumb:

7. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Geswall and Sandboxie would be great. :) Sandboxie lets you choose what you want to have internet and running privileges to. So you can have your browser and IM program be the ONLY things allowed to running privileges and have internet access. Geswall alerts you if anything is trying to send data out and allows you to block it.

8. Soujirou

Soujirou Registered Member

idk, would Sandboxie prevent what almost happened to kjdemuth?

9. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

no. :cool:

10. Kernelwars

say you get infected by a nasty keylogger but you have something to encrypt your keystrokes .. what you guys think about that? maybe the logger is present but its not getting any info the correct ones i mean..o_O

11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

keyscrambler;) :thumb: will do the job:thumb:

12. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Prevention is good. Sometimes it doens't always work. Thats were having keyscrambler comes in handy. Unobtrusive and silent for the most part.

13. buckslayr

buckslayr Registered Member

My daughter has a MacBook pro. Is there a need for an anti keylogger for mac? If so what are some choices?

14. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

I use KeyScrambler Pro and DefenseWall.

I have downloaded many KeyLoggers and
    KeyLogging Test Files (e.g. Zemana, SpyShelter etc.)
    and run them 'as Untrusted' inside DefenseWall.
    No one 'managed to escape'...:D

15. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

Defensewall is a champ i will be very soon installing in al of my pcs again:thumb:

16. Kernelwars

Defensewall is very good for prevention but I still think keyscrambler is the best answer incase something is smart enough and desperate to compromise our privacy:)

17. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

kernelwars is correct;) :thumb: :thumb:

18. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

No, Mac users never have to worry about PC security

For people who do not believe this farytale: Install Trusteer Rapport for MAC see http://www.trusteer.com/supported-platforms
    Choose for every setting allow when possible. Add your banking sites to the protected sites.

19. buckslayr

Thanks Kees. I'm going to give it a try.

20. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Never? You know what people use to say: "Never say never." You know why? It is a long time.

Edit: Well, I guess you're right in that statement of yours. A Mac is not a PC, so... It makes sense. :D

21. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

I think you've missed the sarcasm in Kees response:)

22. buckslayr

Installed last night. Pretty simple extra layer of protection. For mac it only supports Safari and Firefox. I've been using google chrome but that's not a deal breaker. Thanks again.

23. m00nbl00d

Hence the reason I edited my post afterwards... A Mac is not a PC, so they don't have to worry about PC security. ;) Nice... indeed. :D They need to worry about Mac security!

24. wearetheborg

wearetheborg Registered Member

WTH....PC=Personal Computer, whether it has windows or OS X Or Linux is irrelevant

25. m00nbl00d

Yes, PC stands for Personal Computer.

But, you cannot have Mac OS X running in a PC (IBM-based PC), can you? No. At least, not legally, for what I know.

So, in the case, a Mac is not a PC, so to speak, now is it? Sure, Mac is a PC, but not really a PC, right?

In a PC I have the freedom of installing whatever O.S I want, except for Mac OS.

In a Mac, you run Windows, but not as the only Operating System. It is possible to run Linux, but then again, not supported by Apple, right?

I also can build any PC system choosing the hardware I want, not the hardware Apple wants me to buy, isn't that right?

So, no Mac is not a PC in my book! Despite the fact is it a Personal Computer. But not quite a PC, right?

Edit: Mac's should be tagged as Apple's Personal Computers... It's what they are... Their own chosen hardware... Not my choices... So, no sir, not my Personal Computer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.