prevent program from using the network

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by lurningcerv, Oct 20, 2014.

1. lurningcerv

lurningcerv Registered Member

How do I PERMANENTLY prevent a program(s) from going online in Ubuntu?

2. inka

inka Registered Member

Not specific to Ubuntu, I think there is no good, easy solution.
    Someone may advise you that you can restrict programX from accessing the network "by creating an AppArmor profile" ...but that demands hours (am I exaggerating?) of reading/researching/experimenting in order to understand the syntax of, and quirks inherent in, drafting a policy. OTOH, you might be able to find (in Ubuntu forums) a policy template which covers many of the Ubuntu pre-installed apps.

Across the linux landscape, no one is offering utility which provides a GUI & enables per-application network restriction of userspace programs.
    A while back (at the time, I was very excited about finding it & I posted about it here on Wilders) a utility named "leopard flower" was available, hosted on sourceforge
    but its developer has abandoned it.

Good luck. Here's a lead for you to followup: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1008906

3. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

There is probably a way to setup a group and group permissions (and probably a policy configuration) to execute network access programs on a restricted basis, and then the users that are not a member of the group cannot execute the programs that access the network.

If your intent is to disallow user's from running a browser - good luck with that!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.