Prevent Octoshape client to set autorun registry key

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Minimalist, Jun 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I have a question for Windows experts. I'm using Octoshape client to watch some streaming video. Each time the Client is run, it adds autorun registry key in HKCU section. I remove this entry with Autoruns but it is re-added each time the client is run. I don't want to revoke 'Set value' permission for my user account on Run registry key, just in case some other application will have to set new value inside that key.
    Is there any other Windows built-in option to prevent client from writing this registry value?

2. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

The autorun-organizer program mentioned recently scans for programs that re add themselves to startup
    even after they have been removed.

Not ideal but same result.

3. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

4. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Thank you both for you answers. I tried to modify the value but client always sets it back.
    But I found other solution: I removed "Set value" permission for my user account but left it for Administrators group (my account is part of that group). Now when program tries to write a value it doesn't have permission and it can't modify data. If I run a program (or installer) with "Run as Administrator" option it has permission to write the value inside that key. I will leave it like that and will see in anything breaks in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.