Prepurchase questions

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Rodney H, Aug 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rodney H

Rodney H Registered Member

Hello everybody,

I believe I understand the difference between create image and clone image usesTI file format inputs to hard drive. Where disk clone transfers all the information bit by bit to another hard drive. My question is I have a Dell laptop with the media Bay instead of using create image I could use disk clone to clone a disk in the media Bay and then of disaster struck just take out the drive from the media Bay and put it in the fixed drive.

IsTI filesystem resistant to viruses? Also have a maxtor one touch 1394 FireWire my question is I downloaded the free trial and got to the part where I can transfer of files back from the maxtor and I wouldn't let me because I was a trial version my question is how long where 14 Gig take? Don't like the idea of a company saying that the trial version is fully functional and then find out it is not. Have done some reading here in the forum and F11 comes up could somebody please explain it to me also.

Thanks for your help in advance Rodney

2. leehigdon3

leehigdon3 Registered Member

Good question about .tib files being resistant to viruses. I would guess that if the TI program .exe and .dll files could become infected, as long as you didn't try to restore an image, in Windows, using an infected machine, you'd be ok. But that's just a guess. That's why saving to a different drive or removable media is advised.

Concerning your Maxtor firewire drive. I'd read the posts here concerning firewire and linux drivers. If you have to do a restore using the restoration CD, it may be tricky. I've got a work around now, but it's not a process.

3. Rodney H

Lee,

Thanks for the respondents. I'm new to this so my wording may not be correct. I had the maxtor hooked up to the FireWire port with the maxtor on turned then turned on the computer with the boot disk in and I could see the maxtor but of course I could not transfer [restore] the files because of the trial version. It would cost me $50 to push the last button so I want to know if it works.

Anybody know about the media Bay?

As always thanks for the help Rodney

There's a fine line between hobby and sickness.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2004
  4. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

I'd wait a week or two and see what Norton Ghost 9.0 looks like if you can. Hardware support with TI is not up to snuff IMO, both on the chipset and external drive fronts.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2004
  5. leehigdon3

leehigdon3 Registered Member

I'm not familiar with the term "media bay". Is that some type of enclosure for holding a spare drive? If you're asking if you can clone a drive that you can pop in place of the primary drive, in case of an emergency, the answer is yes, you can.

I have a laptop for work purposes and soon, all of us sales folks will have a spare drive, with a cloned image of our hard drive, we can carry with us just in case we need to attend to an emergency.

6. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

I think that is a great idea. While I will do it with RAID, the concept is the same and should work fine. Just make sure the media bay drive will physically fit as the main drive. It would also be good if you could just select (in BIOS) the media bay drive to boot up in an emergency.
    Nothing is better than having an offsite backup that is not connected to the system. Such a backup will cover you from HD failure to virus infection to fire or theft.

Same question I had here. And the answer is no file is invulnerable. Malware is capable of doing some amazingly bad things. A physically disconnected backup will help you recover from some of the worst baddies though. If there is no physical connection or wireles link to the backup, then it cannot be infected.

All I can say is read the forums, some users are having some issues.

Hope this helps.

7. Rodney H

8. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Then you should be all set to go.

Cheers :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.