Preferred DNS Server 127.0.0.1

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TerryWood, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi All

I am using Windows XPSP3, and whilst I was trawling control panel I noticed in Network Settings that the preferred DNS server is set to 127.0.0.1.

Why would DNS be set to 127.0.0.1?
    Is it a problem?
    If it is what should I revert to?

Please note I am not all that savvy with this part of Windows so any simple explanations as to why would be gratefully received.

Thank you

Terry

2. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

127.0.0.1 is "home", the address by which your PC knows itself, or, more correctly, the network card interface address.

In any case, DNS is often resolved through your ISP and/or router and piggybacks it's settings on what is obtained by DHCP.

Was that too much alphabet soup?

OK. DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Program) is what leases out IP addresses to clients (like your PC). Your router is probably your DCHP. Your router/modem/ISP also usually knows the DNS servers to use, although some folks hard code the addresses.

In any case, enter ipconfig /all at a DOS prompt and it should tell you the settings in use for each network interface on your PC.

3. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.