Preferences Pane at Startup

Discussion in 'NTFS for Mac & ExtFS for Mac' started by rhart211, Sep 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhart211

rhart211 Registered Member

Since installing NTFS for Mac OSX 9.5, every time I startup or reboot my computer the Preferences Pane for NTFS for Mac opens, how do I stop this? It is not listed under login items for any user. Anyone have any ideas??
    Thanks.

2. Mephist

Mephist Paragon Support

This issue will be fixed soon. As for workaround try to disable update notifications. This should help.

3. Mephist

Mephist Paragon Support

If disabling notifications doesn't help, type in the following in Terminal:
    sudo mkdir ~/Library/Application\ Support/Paragon\ NTFS\ for\ Mac\ OS\ X
    [Enter key and type in your password]
    sudo touch ~/Library/Application\ Support/Paragon\ NTFS\ for\ Mac\ OS\
    [Enter key and type in your password]

Sorry for inconvenience.

4. NutFlush920

NutFlush920 Registered Member

I just bought this program after only needing 1 trial day. I love it but would like to know when this update is coming out. Also, how will I know the update is available?

I have update notifications turned off and don't feel comfortable enough in the terminal.

Thanks for a great affordable product!

5. NutFlush920

I got the update the other day but this issue is still present. Am I doing something wrong?

6. GeHoGo

GeHoGo Registered Member

I had the exact same problem myself with Paragon NTFS 9.5.2.

I thinks it's clearly a bug in the software, but I managed to come up with a workaround:

The reason for the reappearing preference pane at startup/boot is that Paragon NTFS checks for a specific file at a specific (hardcoded) location:
    Code:
    /Users/[I][COLOR="Sienna"]<<your_username>>[/COLOR][/I]/Library/Application Support/Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X/.notfirsttime
    In case you move the folder of a user (for example with the normal system user preference) to a different location, let's say to
    Code:
    /Volumes/<<second_harddrive>>/Users/
    Paragon NTFS creates the .notfirsttime-file correctly in the folder
    Code:
    /Volumes/<<second_harddrive>>/Users/[I][COLOR="Sienna"]<<your_username>>[/COLOR][/I]/Library/Application Support/Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X/
    but on next startup it checks within
    Code:
    /Users/[I][COLOR="Sienna"]<<your_username>>[/COLOR][/I]/Library/Application Support/Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X/
    where it can't find the file and thus showing the "first time" preference pane again.

You can solve this misbehaviour with two workarounds:
    1. just create a soft link for the relevant users in /Users/ to the new location with
      Code:
      ln -s /Volumes/<<second_harddrive>>/Users/[I][COLOR="Sienna"]<<your_username>>[/COLOR][/I] /Users/[I][COLOR="Sienna"]<<your_username>>[/COLOR][/I]
    2. create the according folder and the appropriate file yourself with
      Code:
      mkdir /Users/[I][COLOR="Sienna"]<<your_username>>[/COLOR][/I]; cd /Users/[I][COLOR="Sienna"]<<your_username>>[/COLOR][/I]; mkdir Library; cd Library; mkdir "Application Support"; cd "Application Support"; mkdir "Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X"; cd "Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X"; touch .notfirsttime

Maybe this workaround can help you.

I'm posting this answer in this thread to reach the readers that have subscribed to this thread.

Best regards

Gerhard

7. NutFlush920

Thanks for the reply Gerhard. Your post got me to troubleshoot on my own and pointed me in the right direction. Here are the steps I took to resolve the problem...

1. Open Terminal
    2. Ran this command to show hidden files in Mac OS X (defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool true)
    3. Log out of Mac OS X
    4. Logged back into Mac OS X
    5. Navigate to /Users/<<your_username>>/Library/Application Support
    6. Created a folder with the name "Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X"
    7. Ran this command in Terminal to hide hidden files in Mac OS X (defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool false)
    8. Quit Terminal
    9. Log out of Mac OS X
    10. Logged back into Mac OS X (Paragon window returned as the .notfirsttime file was not yet created in the Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X folder)
    11. Log out of Mac OS X
    12. Logged back into Mac OS X
    12. Paragon window did not return and still have full read/write access to NTFS volumes.

There seems to be a bug as you suggested. I only have 1 partition on my MacBook Pro and it seems Paragon did not create the "Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X" folder in my Application Support folder as it should have on install thus causing the issue I have faced for many months.

I hope Paragon reads this makes the appropriate fixes to the next update. Perhaps they could hook us up with HFS+ for Windows for free to show their support for us finding a fix to their programming error? LOL :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.