Precautions when connecting an unpatched Windows box

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Andz, Mar 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andz

Andz Registered Member

What is the best way to connect a new computer to the internet for the purpose of running Windows Update? I have heard that for security, I need to buy a router to sit between the computer and the DSL modem. Would this prevent attacks? The new computer will come with Windows 8 (not 8.1), so the software is potentially very out-of-date and vulnerable to attacks. I want to safely update the computer when I unbox it, and then safely use the internet on a daily basis.

Any suggestions?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  2. fax

fax Registered Member

Just turn on windows firewall (ON by default on WIN7 and 8 ) and that's it. Next go to windows update and do all updates. Risk linked to this procedure? Basically zero.

3. Andz

Andz Registered Member

CERT/CC says the following is step one when connecting to the internet.

The problem is that I don't know how to actually implement this recommendation. What do I have to buy?

4. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

How do you connect to the internet right now ? Aren't you already using a Router ? If so, just install the software/drivers etc for it on the new comp.

Maybe you only have a Modem ? If so, install as above.

Anyway what fax said should suffice, without a Router. You could always add one afterwards. Most ISP's provide them for free these days, unless you prefer to buy one.

After you've installed the Updates, i would Strongly advise you to install a good BiDirectional Firewall. Look in the FW threads for some nice options & advice etc ;)

5. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

I believe that there are currently no publicly known "remote code execution while doing nothing except being connected to the internet" vulnerabilities for a default installation of Windows 8. Thus, I agree with the other posts.

6. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Yes, I agree with others. Just get the computer to internet (however you can), leave OS firewall enabled and update your system. You should be fine.

hqsec

7. Andz

Andz Registered Member

Thanks for all the advice. I like keeping things simple when possible.
    So you're saying the default firewall in Windows 8.1 isn't really strong enough?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.