PowerShadow Workstation

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by farmerlee, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Just got my hands on the latest version of powershadow and thought someone might want a look at it. It has some new features like password protection and folder relocation. One interesting thing i noticed in the EULA was it allows the user to install it on an unlimited number of systems which is great. The one major drawback for me with the new version is it appears its not compatible with first defense-isr! There seems to be some conflict with the fd-isr boot menu even if the PS boot menu is disabled. It was such a promising release too... :(

Attached Files:

• ps.jpg
      ps.jpg
      File size:
      67 KB
      Views:
    • ps2.jpg
      ps2.jpg
      File size:
      71.3 KB
      Views:
    • ps3.jpg
      ps3.jpg
      File size:
      63.9 KB
      Views:
  2. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Looks VERY Cool ;) Pity about the FD-ISR issue. Personally I wouldn't give up FD-ISR for all the tea in China.

...screamer

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

It does look cool. But I agree, it has to work with FDISR or it's bye bye.

4. Long View

Long View Registered Member

oh well just to try and bring a little balance - I would happily trade my unused version of FD-ISR for an unlimited license which I could use on 7 machines ;)

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

So where is the exit shadow-mode without reboot option? Pfffft. Oh well, just kidding, if that could be done safely it would by now already been implimented.

Yes it's a downright shame theres now a conflict with FD-ISR with that latest release. All the more for me to cling to like Gold of my PS 2.6 version. That one is in EVERY snapshot i use and never once experienced any problems.

Thanks for the update notice but looks like they have more to do yet with it.

Listen, there is a definite pattern that simply cannot be overlooked here with "ANY" softwares. Sometimes even a Beta program proves to be much better then even a commercial/public release. I've experienced this throughout the years non-stop. And this one is no exception.

6. farmerlee

Yeh no exit shadow mode without reboot yet...

I've been talking with their support about the boot issue and this is what they've told me,

'In the latest version of PowerShadow, we do change the bootstrap codes to bring user better experience and security. Unfortunately, this change also restricts our compatibility with other software, whom do the similar work during booting stage'.

On a more positive note their customer support seems to be very good. They've been quick to reply and very helpful.

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Would you mind sharing any links to either or both their forums & download link plz? This does look very promising. I hope they accommadate for FD-ISR myself but am not holding out hope or my breath they will make the adjustment any time soon.

8. farmerlee

When i was checking out the main website http://www.shadownow.com/index.html i couldn't find a trial download option so i just took the plunge and purchased a license based on how well previous versions of PS had been working for me and also cause they have a 20% discount at the moment. The main site talkes about a 30 day trial version but where it is i have no idea. You could probably email support and ask for a trial version i guess.

Based on my current troubles I'm still deciding whether or not to hold onto my license or take advantage of the 30 day money back guarantee.
    I just tried PS out alongside rollback rx and it completely corrupted my hard drive. Everything was destroyed partitions and all!

I'm definitely going back to 2.82 for the time being.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  9. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Based on the way RollbackRx works, I would have said this was a dicey combination to begin with. The approach taken by HDS with RollbackRx has some real advantages with respect to speed and space taken. On the other hand, it can have some real liabilities when used in the wrong combination with other products.

Blue

10. farmerlee

Yeah i figured i'd have trouble like i had with fd-isr but curiosity got the better of me so i went ahead and installed them together anyway lol! Thankfully i have trueimage to get of out of trouble!

11. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks:

As to the trial version,, yes there is one, but from its Chinese site and in that language only ( 60 days), pity. Learning Chinese is a mandatory measure ? Take care.

12. Long View

A word of warning. I downloaded Powershadow this morning and tried it out on a test machine. I then tried to install on the machine I intended to use it on and received a message saying that I had reached the limit of my activations. Even when removed from Machine A I could not activate it on machine B. Although the license says you can use it on an unlimited number of machines there appears to be a language problem here. They probably mean - provided you have paid for x machines. Of more concern is the difficulty I found in changing machines. I accept that I may have made a mistake or that an e-mail to the company might sort things out but I personally have a thing about activations and activations going wrong. My brief testing of this product shows that it works well but does nothing for me personally that I can't do with Returnil (free) or my 2 copies of Deepfreeze 6. I could even at a pinch blow off the dust from my copy of FD-ISR and work with a frozen snapshot :cautious: (Joke Eric).:-*

Hope I get my refund.

13. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I don't see any sensational improvement in this version. It remains a simple boot-to-restore solution and nothing more than that. I'm disappointed, but I can still laugh. :)

14. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Well..., for many, myself included, that's probably the preferred functionality we're looking for.

Blue

15. Long View

I agree. I like to keep things simple as well - which is why I was so disappointed with this program. There is nothing wrong with the program itself but Not being able to move it from one machine to another is a complication I can live without. I have had no such problem with Returnil ( free) or DeepFreeze. The number of products available in this market is growing with the consumer having ever more choice. No company is good enough to put obstacles in the way of sales.

16. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

An absolute fact. RollbackRx is a bully, it wants all or nothing and it appears it's not so accommadating with MANY other apps, a real deal breaker for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.