Powershadow: What are the advantages?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by besafe, Apr 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: If you have to PAY powershadow from now on, I would suggest you to consider DeepFreeze Standard instead, which has full support and on- going development. Powershadow is an orphan abandoned in here, NorthAmerica, by its creator, who published its code/key after retreated from here. Its Chinese version (including updated 2.82)is currently used by people there FREE of ANY CHARGE. Why would we here have to be treated this much differently? It was discovered by our member,Chunk57,and thoroughly tested by others. I would continue to use it, if you already have it, until it drops. Ha, an excellent freeware does not come by so easily and so accidently these days. PowerShadow is one of these rare incidents. Good luck.

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I think we both have our own goals and that causes differences in opinions.
    I only know one thing :
    1. Using PowerShadow in a frozen FDISR-snapshot is ABSURD, because both have the same result : your harddisk didn't change. Only the method is different.
    2. Using PowerShadow in a normal FDISR-snapshot makes sense, because a normal FDISR-snapshot allows any change, even after reboot. If you don't want any change in a normal FDISR-snapshot, you need PS to do the job and then PS will clean your snapshot faster, although I don't know how much faster.
    I think PS is faster because it only has to empty a virtual container, while FDISR cleans a snapshot by adding, removing and replacing objects until the frozen snapshot = freeze storage.

It's a pity that PS's documentation is so poor and I don't like to guess.
    ShadowUser, which also uses virtualization, has at least a well-documented User Manual, that explains exactly how ShadowUser works.
    I'm not very enthousiastic to use PS and its Chinese origin makes it difficult to communicate or even read the several websites about PS and the English website isn't very informative either.
    I also like to know from the creators (?), how PS will evolve in the future.
    I prefer to use American or European softwares. :)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  3. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Insufficient tech support and uncertainty of its future has blanked this otherwise remarkable app. Its Chinese creator , in one of few press releases, has claimed that during its presence in USA, it has sold more than 20,000 copies at US$39.95/each. But until upto this moment, I have yet to hear a SINGLE claim from any of our members that he/she has in fact bought it and has used for the last one/two years. Strange, is'nt it ? And its on-the-fly method of switching into shadow mode w/o any reboot may sound very unique, but on the other side of coin, could post its vulnerability/weakness. I can not help thinking PS may indeed create two sanpshoots when it starts up, then allow user to switch from one snapshot(normal) into another (shadow) w/o any reboot. Just my curious sense of the day. Have a nice one.

4. mrisis

mrisis Registered Member

I don't know where you got that info from, from what I can see on their website this program is far from being abandoned.

"( Over 2,942,815 used daily by people in over 50 countries by Apr 13, 2007 5pm CST )"

As far as still being free you can still download 2.6 and the 2.8.2 version,
    just do a search on powershadow here in the forums.

5. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I am not trying dispute your info. My source of info is from its Chinese web site and the published interview between its original creator(resides in China) and press. The info re X number of current users around the globe may have its merits, but where is the fraction of that mighty number(over 2 millions, something to this effect ?) in NorthAmerica's English population ? That English web site (now called powershadowsecurity .com) is likely created after its creator has retreated his USA market. This can be proven by his interview w/ press. Why would he retreat from here after making over 100,000 US $?there are some hidden agenda which can not be revealed. Where is the support or even a slight gratitude from its officials in that Chicago-based HQ, I am certain that they read English and browse this forum as well. I would not miss ANY golden ops to drum up my app here, if I wear their hats and shoes. Would you? Just common sense. IMO, Meantime, just enjoy this freeware while we can. You have had it, nobody, I mean no body can take it away from you. This reply simply is for viewers' tea-time materials, shred it if you so desire.

6. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

My guess is that it's possible it could be a volley by China officials for the restriction that the USA had on encryption software being exported, but who really knows why. There are also USA companies that offer their free security products while being restricted to USA or North America as well. I'm not trying to defend the company or get into politics here, just a guess on my part. That aside, I downloaded the 2.82 version, and also downloaded the English language conversion from the long PS thread by Chuck57. The GUI and help files are indeed in English afterwards, and while it's true not everything is explained in detail in the help files, it's enough to get going. Providing a fake email address during setup for 2.82 made it a registered version.

7. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Valid point and one worth considering if someone finds that of interest to them, like me.

8. ErikAlbert

Can you install BIG applications in PowerShadow. According my readings you can't install big applications in Sandboxie, they often don't work. Litte applications don't seem to be a problem for Sandboxie.
    Does that also apply to PowerShadow ?

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You reallly wouldnt want to install big applications in the sandbox. If it is a trusted app, just install it. You can try running it sandboxed. The whole point of sandboxie, is after running something you can make it go way. But things like KAV, and OA, won't install in the sandbox. That's part of the protection. THings can't just do certain kinds of installing.

Erik, it's not made for testing software as is FDISR, or maybe even Powershadow.

10. ErikAlbert

OK, but I wanted an answer for PowerShadow, not Sandboxie.
    For instance, can I install MS Office in PowerShadow and after reboot it's gone o_O

11. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: my reading on PS is that it works very similiar as other virtualization apps, such as DeepFreeze: reboot will erase every changes made. If PS can shadow the whole volume or even multiple volumes(in v.2.8.2), I would assume it can install any size of application as long as disk space allowed. I have installed KAV as such in DF's frozen state w/o any problems, but the sticky point is KAV requires a reboot, this would then make the installation invaild. I also installed a game w/ 50 MB or so requiring no reboot, played a while then got rid of it at end of the day. One thing still amazes me other than its ability of switching from noraml to shadow w/o reboot is that PS can in fact coexist w/ FD-ISR, which I have failed to get it worked w/ DeepFreeze. Some member here has successfully paired ShadowUser w/ FD-ISR by excluding FD-ISR's working snapshot file from ShadowUser. PS to this day ,IMO, is surrounded w/ some unique yet mystrious features, indeed. Have a nice day.

12. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

You can install large programs in Powershadow. I've downloaded 60MB programs into PS, and I've run MS Office in Powershadow without a problem. Just make sure what you're doing is saved to an unshadowed drive.

Unless you make a partition, when you open PS your entire drive is shadowed, or if you choose the other option all your drives can be shadowed.

In the first case, your entire C drive will be shadowed. All open space on that drive is available for use.

13. ErikAlbert

I wonder how that works, if you install PS in a FDISR-snapshot.
    Harddisks, partitions, snapshots aren't the same, which one(s) will be cleaned by PowerShadow. o_O

14. Chuck57

That I don't know, since I only have powershadow. It would be interesting to hear from someone who's run ps in FDISR or one of the others and find out what happens.

15. ErikAlbert

I understand you don't know about FDISR + PS, but what about this :

A. Suppose I have ONE harddisk and I have two partitions : partition #1 and partition #2 and PS is installed on partition #1, which partition(s) will be cleaned by PS on reboot ?

B. Suppose I have two harddisk #1 and #2 and PS is installed on harddisk #1,
    which harddisk(s) will be cleaned by PS on reboot ?

C. This question is for EASTER.
    I have ONE harddisk and I have two partitions : partition #1 and partition #2.
    In partition #1, I have two snapshots #1 and #2 and PS is installed on snapshot #1,
    which snapshot(s) will be cleaned by PS on reboot ?

These are all CLEAR questions, I expect clear answers too. :)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  16. Chuck57

As I understand it, if you run ps on a partition, only that partition will be cleaned on reboot. I haven't tried it, but I *think* somewhere in the long, long thread someone mentioned it as happening that way.

From powershadow help: "Single shadow mode will "shadow" the system partition only. In single shadow mode,all changes in the system partition will not be saved."

Now, it shows the full C disk as the partition. I'm sure someone partitioned C drive in the long thread and ran ps in that partition, but don't know which of the 700 or so posts mentioned it.

17. ErikAlbert

Thanks, I will wait awhile, maybe the members, who tested this, show up in this thread.

18. mrisis

mrisis Registered Member

A: Same setup I have, if you run in single shadow mode partition #1 will be cleaned on reboot.

B: Same as above, in single shadow mode drive #1 would be cleaned on reboot.

To clean all drives or partitions upon reboot you would want to run in Full shadow mode.

19. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Motto of the day: READ THE HELP FILE PLEASE!

Chuck57 is 100% correct! I do that evertime i use it. You can save whatever file/program you deem important to you IN SINGLE-SHADOW MODE "but", if that SINGLE C:\ partition is shadowed with PS, you MUST save your collection to another partition or drive. Simple as that really, and works great!

ErikAlbert, please have no fear, this PS is completely safe and dumps that partition session after reboot, EVEN if something hangs up your system. I know, i turned malware loose in it and couldn't exit due to a screen freeze so simply manually restarted by the tower button and Wallah! Everything prior returns to normal as before you entered shadow-mode.

If this didn;t make the answer you need clear enough for you, please feel free to bring that to my attention again. You will not go wrong with Power Shadow. I used to favor ShadowUser untill it eventually began sticking in shadowmode after reboot each and everytime. I lost a whole days work plus collected samples/programs because unknowns to me at the time one day, it was stuck in shadowmode every reboot even after making a command to exit it. Not soon after this headache, Chuck57 magically appeared with this substitute that is proven it's weight in gold for me. No issues, no concerns, no sticking, everything works perfectly the first time and everytime thereafter without a hitch. It's why i am so very high on this program. It's simple, safe, and it works without taxing your system.

20. namdog

namdog Registered Member

Eric

May I suggest you to take a quiz of PowerShadow ?

http://powershadowsecurity.com/PowerShadowSelfQuiz.aspx

It is very funny but really helpful.

21. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

22. ErikAlbert

OK Guys. Thanks for the answers. A and B are answered, but not C.
    You don't have to refer to websites and a quiz, because PS does NOT talk about SNAPSHOTS and snapshots are not partitions or harddisks. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.