PowerShadow Vs Virtual Machine Software

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Monkey_Feces, Mar 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monkey_Feces

Monkey_Feces Registered Member

I like to run p2p acquired software. Like sandboxie, I want a program that will give me a safe zone, completely isolated from questionable installations. I am more inclined towards using PS if its shadow mode can work as a completely isolated boot partition which can be switched between my normal boot since VMware setup seems a little complex.

2. Monkey_Feces

Monkey_Feces Registered Member

After doing a little research on PS, some users have stated that it has hidden adware or something along those lines. Am I right to pursue a VM solution over PS because of this?

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

When people talk about ADS is powershadow they're not talking about adware. ADS stands for alternate data streams. Some people have concerns about ADS but it appears there is a version of powershadow that doesn't use ADS.
    I use both powershadow and microsoft virtual pc and i find both do an excellent job. I prefer to use virtual pc as i can try out an app which needs a reboot which powershadow cannot. In VPC you can mess around all you like, reboot as much as you want and at the end of the session just turn it off which deletes all changes. Start it back up again and you have the squeeky clean system you began with.
    The only drawback with VPC is you are basically running 2 OS's at one time so you need a decent machine if you want good performance. Powershadow runs well on every system i've tried it on.

4. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Power Shadow (tucows)

Got mine form the above host that has no ADS and works magnificiently. I use it when testing buggy sites/software and a simple reboot removes ALL changes, in effect restoring the previous good configuration back as before.

5. namdog

namdog Registered Member

No ADS in PowerShadow.

Read detail here -->
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=161735&page=19

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Thanks for explaining this in an OBJECTIVE way. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.