Powershadow 2.8.2

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Seishin, Apr 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

You shouldn't use Diskeeper on your shadowed drive. Any changes to the file system have to be stored in the shadow copy so that can add up to a huge temp file if your drive is seriously fragmented.

2. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

DK2007 only defrags when idle and my pc doesn't go idle when in shadow-mode...

3. Perman

Perman Registered Member

hi, folks: if your DK 2007 is pro or pro premier version, its auto defrag feature may be the cause Expresso is referring. This auto feature will defrag your disk in the background, if is enabled, whether pc is active or idle.

4. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I'm trying 2.6 out and have a quick ?. What does ShadowSetting.exe do and why does it need internet access? Thank you!

5. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Shadow setting allows you to configure certain aspects of powershadow, i believe it accesses the internet to check for updates.

6. innerpeace

Thank you for your reply farmerlee. I believe your right about the update. Unfortunately I couldn't run the 2.6 version, but I persisted and tried the 2.8 v. and it works for me so far. I think I'm going to have fun with PS :).

7. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

If you're not interested in when an update is available you can easily uncheck that box in the settings. Simple as that. LoL

8. innerpeace

I disabled the check for updates option. Is it safe to disable shadowtip.exe from the startup? I noticed it wanted to connect out the last time I was in shadow mode. I don't plan on booting in to shadow mode so that is not a problem. I disabled the options for bootup. Thanks

9. farmerlee

I have shadowtip disabled from autostarting as well. It doesn't seem to cause any problems imo.

10. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I never once had any use of the boot screen menu for Power Shadow since i enter my GUI before any conncetions to the internet are started. So i unchecked that setting too. If you need to go online in Shadow-Mode all you need to do is enter Shadow-Mode before you connect to internet and therein is another advantage. One click and you're shadow protected immediately from that point then the reboot flushes or dismissed that session along with any actions that might have been written to the virtual shadowed disk making it abreeze to return to it's previous state of operation as b4.

11. innerpeace

Thanks farmerlee and Easter. I will disable shadowtip. Thank you for your help.

p.s. The last time I checked powershadows' site, their forum was up. I only saw one post though.

12. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I have finally gotten 2.82 running on my sys. I know I don't have it set up properly because I'm running the Chinese version. I can work it ok because I have the English version 2.6 on my other computer. So I know what is there. How do I disable Shadowtip?

13. innerpeace

I disabled all my starting programs with spybot s&d. I'm also running winpatrol which allows me to do the same. AVG AS can also I think. I also unchecked the option for updates within powershadows options.

Did you get the translation files for 2.8? It was really easy. If I can do it, I'm sure you can.

14. koreanmark

koreanmark Registered Member

Powershadow 2.8 is not stable and always cause my XP blue screen.

some questions:

Why I never see any Beta testing news with Powershadow on it's website?
    When it will support the Vista?
    How can I use it in a 64bit XP?

15. farmerlee

You're probably better off asking these questions in the powershadow forums.

16. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

The PS forum does seem to be down at the moment.I did read over there earlier that beta testing of Ver 2.9 will start soon.

Running PS here with no probs and even have recently installed it within a couple of test XP virtual machines.

Hard drives are cheap to buy these days so setting up a slave drive and dropping a clone onto it should take the worry away about hard drive failure.

Never experienced a total hard drive failure here.Even my old 10 gig drive from the Win98 days is still going ok.

PS FAQ

17. Perman

Perman Registered Member

hi, folks: PS's english web site is running normally here in North America. I did find a very interesting info: just go to forum re: survey--how long have you been using power shadow and where are you coming from. That info may shed some light with regard to how PS was perceived by 2,000,000 souls. Another tea time stuff for myself---read it, laught at it and shred it. Ha, Ha, Ha.

18. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Same here Franklin

I'm building up a collection of many brands of them now and is why i won't be needing any External Drives at all. And your right on target! Clone your active Hard Drive to the Slave/Secondary and your good to go in case of any problems. I'm almost of the mind anymore to completely forget about imaging and just CLONE then pack the duplicate away for safekeeping later if needed.

19. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: To find PS's forum, two ways; direct and indirect. try www. at powershadowsecurity.com for direct link to its english one, or try www. at powershadow.com for link to its Chineses site, then choose the English option, it will take you to the same English one. Good luck.

20. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

You can't get much response on the PS forum. You get a lot more here. I wish that their representatives would visit Wilders.

21. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

That depends on the population of the PS forum. If it's full of average users, you won't get much reply to your questions. You need knowledgeable users, creative thinkers and testers in a forum. If these people don't exist you get a social chat, nothing more than that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.