Powershadow 2.8.2

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Seishin, Apr 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I've just been trying out virtualization within virtualization LOL! Currently running powershadow within a virtualized windows. Theres really no point to it, i was just doing it to see if its possible :)

2. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I've run geswall, Blink, sandboxie, defensewall, and bufferzone inside powershadow,while trialing them, without any problem from any of them.

I've also noticed, and I think I mentioned it in the long thread, that my PC seems to run faster in powershadow. Thought it was my imagination but when I run ps disengaged, it does seem just a bit slower.

3. farmerlee

Thats interesting, i've never bothered to test my systems speed while PS is active. I'll run a few tests and see how it goes.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

How about running Sanboxie, inside a FDISR snapshot, on a virtual machine, inside an FDISR snapshot.:D

5. farmerlee

After running a performance test I don't think its your imagination. Using 'Performance Test 6' inside a virtualized xp home with nothing else running i scored a 301.5 result. I restarted windows and booted into shadow mode and ran the test again and scored a 315! I guess powershadow does improve a systems performance. Who would have thought a security app would actually boost a systems performance!

6. namdog

namdog Registered Member

Maybe you should check the memory usage

7. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Which is more secure PowerShadow or DefenseWall? I was wondering because I have DW and have read that it very secure.

8. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Yes, and thats one of those nice surprises that only a very few apps possess. I can't explain it but just like Power Shadow i have seen apps that actually INCREASED PERFORMANCE even though they offered no claim of such a benefit but who's complaining? :D

9. farmerlee

Running virtualized windows normally.

Attached Files:

• win.JPG
      win.JPG
      File size:
      126.5 KB
      Views:
  10. farmerlee

Running virtualized windows in shadow mode.

Attached Files:

• win2.JPG
      win2.JPG
      File size:
      131.3 KB
      Views:
  11. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

I'm using 2.6....I found that not exiting apps. caused PS-error, booting into PS got the same error. Closed all apps and no problemso_O

12. farmerlee

What sort of apps were you using? I've used PS with av's, im's, firewalls and imaging software running and had no problems.
    Worst come to worst you could always try out 2.82, turning it into the english version is very simple.

13. 19monty64

I removed PrevX and all runs smoothly now. Not sure why, but I definitely prefer using PowerShadow.

14. farmerlee

I will definitely have to try PS alongside prevx to see if also get errors.

15. 19monty64

I also had a prob. when applying changes in xp-antispy. The shadow-mode lettering in the display-corners disappeared for about 3-5 secs and then came back ono_O I have tested several new apps. in shadow-mode with no probs. Maybe too many security apps. disagree with my 'putero_O

16. 19monty64

Uh oh....with everything but DK2007 disabled I just activated PS.....screen went black and pc re-bootedo_O Windows reported nothing in event viewer, so I have no explanation for PS's glitcheso_O

17. farmerlee

Just tried out PS 2.6 alongside prevx, i experienced no problems. Started shadow mode from within windows with prevx active and no problems. Booted into shadow mode with prevx active and no problems. Your problem is a mystery....

18. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Try to remember, not all issues some experience with it are Power Shadow related. Yes, some programs do & will conflict, of that there is no doubt and sometimes no remedy except to uninstall.

I haven't tried shadow-mode with Prevx1 myself although i have run it independently. I think that's where we run into issues at times and most definitely if we're carrying a heavy compliment of security apps, monitoring progs and such.

Hope you finally pinpoint what's causing that disruption and from there you will likely need to settle on one or the other.

Regards EASTER

19. 19monty64

The problem I had with PS 2.6 must have been with the installation itself. I tried a 2nd time, and had no probs even with apps. running. Also booted into shadow-mode w/out probs. If at first you don't suceed......

20. 19monty64

May have figured the problem. I rebooted into shadow-mode and got "error code : 82f37128." When opening PS I noticed it was trial version. Had to re-enter code and re-boot TWICE before PowerShadow remembered registration. Re-booted again just to make sure. Must be getting late (LOFL) 'cause I can't figure if I registered differently each timeo_O

21. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

For me too. Been up all night (again :isay: ) I'm following you on that. Looks like it might just be the registration part causing it. I use 2.6 and installed again on another drive like this. Install from the installer, allow it to finish and simply reboot. Then after the restart opened the program and went directly to register and entered required info, it responded successful and then i disable the Boot Start-Up Screen. I don't need to start PS from boot menu is why because you can do that from the program once the GUI is up.

Plz keep us advised and thanks.

22. 19monty64

Oooooo........I think I entered reg.code prematurely a coupla times lol...... I know I booted then entered reg.code when it did finally werk. Must beo_O (ROFL)

23. namdog

namdog Registered Member

I don't know what happened on you computer, but I have two suggesions. Maybe you can try them.

1, Uninstall and re-install PowerShadow. Make sure that all other software(especially anti-viurs, firewall, etc) have been closed during the whole process.

2, Defrag your hard drive.

24. 19monty64

been there...
    done that... I'm pretty sure the problem was with the installer, namely the person doing the installingo_O

25. 19monty64

The installer was indeed the problem as all is running smoothly. Thanx to all the wilders members for their imput in this matter, and especially for bringing PS to my attention. My pc is content in knowing that it is safe from my "click-happy teenaged daughters" and their "damn-the-instructions" father!!!:thumb: :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.