PowerPoint about the Mayan "end of the world" secretly boobytrapped with malware

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by TheKid7, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

2. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

From the article:

----
    rich

3. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Curiosity 'kills' the cat (pun intended).

That said, I went to take a look at the presentation in a 'safe to view format' (link given in article). Interesting but not worth the trouble downloading...and definitely not worth a booby-trap.

4. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Well, it's 12-21-12 here. For those of you still waiting around, I've no cities in flames to report, most cats and dogs still don't like each other, and I didn't see hide nor hair of Nibiru. Aliens might have picked up a few folks, but nobody ever misses the type they go after.

I wonder what excuse the doomsday fanatics will use this time? Either way, the only thing that is screwed are the systems that downloaded this Powerpoint :D

5. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

They said the world would end at the 21st, not that it would end at the beginning on the 21st or which time-zone, so there is still time :D

6. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Well, let's put it this way. If any of the possibilities being tossed around were going to happen today, the signs would have already been there by now. Those things don't just happen in a few hours time (save for earthquakes). Besides, the end of the "world" would only mean the end of us, not the planet, as that takes a bit more to pull off. Granted that would still kind of sour the party. You can wait out in the grass and look up towards the heavens, I've got some late Christmas shopping to handle. Besides, if the Mayans couldn't predict the drought that ended up killing them off, why would we take their word on what would happen to us? :D

7. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Well-Written! :thumb:

8. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

AFAIK, the Mayans didn't predict the world would end, that's just one of the interpretations of their calender, that theory then gained some popularity and was made mainstream by the movie industry which exploited it to make tons of money from doomsday movies. Btw, waiting in the grass and looking to the heavens is not an attractive option here as it is quite a rainy day and while I have the majority of my Christmas shopping done, it still have some left to do :D

Back on topic, not really newsworthy, as with most events in the news, malware writers create boobytrapped files about them and hope the curiosity of the receiver is enough to open them.

9. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Yeah, I'll drop the topic here as well, but basically there was never an end of the world, just an age according to them. A new one starts right after, so there pretty much goes any doom scenarios right out the window.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.