"Powered by Sonic"?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by dangitall, Mar 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

This is a post from another, more generalized 'tech' board I frequent:

"Does anyone know what Powered by Sonic really is? The info
    I've found so far says that it's a password protection
    software. The reason that I'm asking is that I keep getting
    this alert pop-up asking me to veiw their updates. If you
    click yes it takes you to this firehunt site that is nothing
    but a bunch of ads.

It's getting annoying! Everytime I start my comp I get that
    message about a minute later. If anyone knows how to stop
    this or whether or not I can delete sonic form add/remove
    programs without hurting anything, PLEASE, let me know."​

I've tried searching for both 'Powered by Sonic' and 'firehunt' but found nothing useful. Does anyone here have anything to offer or suggest? It's already been suggested to him that he run HJT and post a log (either there or here), but he seems 'resistant' to that. At this point, I'd settle for any info. Thanks.

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hi dangitall :)

The best solution has already been suggested, HijackThis. ;)

snowbound

3. dangitall

Thank you, Snowbound. I will reiterate my suggestion re: HijackThis to this fella.

4. Harold77

Harold77 Registered Member

I noticed the same thing when I helped my niece set up her new Dell 5150 laptop yesterday.

I was pressed for time so I really didn't have a chance to investigate what was causing it... if you have a Dell also, it's probably something pre-installed and should be in the documentation somewhere about what it actually is.

My niece is out of town (in Washington D.C. with the laptop) for about a week at a conference, so it may be a while before I can look into it further... it was extremely annoying getting that message popping up at every boot-up though.:)

I did a little research and, since her new laptop has a DVD/CD-RW/DVD burner, I think this software related to the DVD burner http://www.sonic.com/products/default.asp is probably what's causing the "Powered by Sonic" check for updates messages.:)

5. dangitall

Thanks - I'll pass this on as well. I'm pretty sure that someone else there came up with this, but it's always best to have a confirmation.

6. Mike S

Mike S Guest

Father in law has new dell with a cd burner. its software is from Sonic. Even though auto check for updates is turned off it still checks when connected to net.

Havent found a hack to delete setting yet.

7. Harold77

Harold77 Registered Member

If you have a firewall, just deny permission to that application for internet access.

Or, since you can probably find better, more capable DVD, CD writing software such as Nero 6 or Easy CD Creator, you can just uninstall the pre-installed DVD software that came with the computer and avoid all the potential spyware and phone-home software that computer vendors are famous for installing on new computers.:)

8. :)

If you have "record Now" I think you'll find that by running it and clicking on Help and then update, you'll get the same update manager that you see if you click the pop-up and then yes.

So I think this pop-up is the update for record now which is a sonic product for your burner. Herold, you got it right.

Thanks

9. Hutchy

Hutchy Guest

See - http://support.sonic.com/kb/default.asp?type=desktop&product=recordnow

10. dangitall

Thanks all! The information has been forwarded.

11. KateS

KateS Guest

You know what I did when I got that same message? I just went into my add/remove programmes and removed the programme named Sonic Update Manager. Since its removal I have had no more pop-ups. Hope this helps. :D

12. JackMan

JackMan Guest

1) Start RecordNow.
    2) Click on the Options (wrench) icon.
    3) Click on "General."
    4) Under "Startup," remove the checkmark from "Check for updates."
    5) Click on "OK."

13. lyberty

lyberty Guest

Note that the "Startup" option is not available on the IBM OEM version of this Software,
    called "IBM RecordNow, Version 5.1"
    (came bundled with my IBM T40 laptop).

Note also that the IBM RecordNow program has a companion program called IBM DLA,
    which is also "powered by sonic", and may also therefore be generating these messages.

14. Wiseowl

Wiseowl Guest

Folks... I think everyone has been hoodwinked. "Powered by Sonic" has nothing to do with updating any of "Sonic’s” software products (i.e. DVD players etc.).

I believe that "Powered by Sonic" is part of C2 Media Ltd and their “Lop.com” program. It is an all-in-one “Spyware” – “Adware” – “Hijacker” application. It will take over your home page, search engine etc.

This is what I suspect anyway.

Wiseowl

15. Zeke

Zeke Guest

Hi,

I dont' think this is spyware. I started getting this message right after I installed a DVD burner - and Sonic's software - to my system.

Lavasoft's AdAware didn't turn up anything, but I did see the Sonic Update Manager in my add/remove. I removed it, and I suspect this will take care of my problem.

Cheerz,
    zeke

16. rubic3

rubic3 Guest

Another simple option:

- Open Start Menu
    - Choose Run
    - Type: msconfig
    - Choose Startup tab
    - Uncheck "sgtray"

17. controler

controler Guest

The thing I like about the new HP's is they send the recovery CD's and also JUSt the OS CD so you don't have to install all the other garbage if you chose not to. Along with that they send
    MyDVD (Sonic)
    and
    Easy CD Creator.

controler

18. CoffeeBoy

CoffeeBoy Registered Member

I checked Sonic's website. It's cd burning software that comes bundled on a lot of computers. If you never want to receive the pop up again. The software manufacturer's website says that you can remove the Sonic Download Manager program using the add/remove program function. It will not affect the functionality of the cd burner software.

19. WMorehouse

WMorehouse Registered Member

Re: "Powered by Sonic"?

I just started receiving the update message this morning and found your posting with a google search for "powered by sonic". I have a DVD player/CD Writer in my PC and run software called "record now" from Sonic to record CDs. Apparently this software is causing the update messages. The support information link in add remove programs brought me to the www.sonic.com website.

20. SvF

SvF Guest

XP:

Start
    Settings
    Control Panel
    Add Remove Programs
    Find Sonic Update Manager
    Remove it

Basically my feeling is any program that installs ANY other program is Hijacking, however this seems to be just a very crappy ploy to get you to go to their site and buy more Sonic garbage.

21. Annoyed User

Annoyed User Guest

Go to your control panel, look for "Sonic update manager", and uninstall it to get rid of the reoccuring requests to upgrade.

22. Jerry A

Jerry A Guest

I've been getting this popup periodically for some time and I too did a Google to find this Forum and did go to my CP Add/Remove Programs and deleted the Sonic Update Manager and trust that will save the annoyances. It may be interesting to note that I have no DVD read or write hard/software.. But with further examining Sonic.com Knowledge base I noted a software I use named Backup MyPC Published by Stomp Inc and Powered / Copyrighted by 2002 VERITAS Software Inc.,. listed at the URL shown in response #9 (above)

Thank each one of you for your imput... Keep it up, nobody knows whom you may help.. Trick is to decifer the truth/false of it all..

23. Anon

Anon Guest

Thanks -- I had just done a clean reinstallation on a client's computer and almost passed out when I got that annoying pop-up dialog box. The previous installation had been heavily infested (Spybot S&D finding over 800 detections, AVG finding over 200 virus infections, crap everywhere such that it was hard to run basic programs like IE, explorer, and control panel w/o getting a BSOD) yeah so let's just say I'd seen enough spyware for the day :) Thanks so much for your help!

--Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.