Power Shadow compared to SandBoxIE

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by wideglide36, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I use the latest Bufferzone free which despite what they say on their website works with just about everything on my computer. No need to download a special one for this or that application - you just can't have them opened at the same time, and am looking forward to beta testing the new BZ 2.50 that's coming out in a week or so.

Anyway, I understand what you're saying. For me, after playing with Powershadow for a week, and having the impression I was totally secure, I realized that I still needed most of the security apps I did before I downloaded PS. It will save your computer from destruction. Nothing has beaten it yet, and Easter, yanknNcrankin, espresso and others have put it through some pretty serious tests. But, if you're concerned about stuff going off your drive to some clown out there, it isn't the answer. I'm not sure anything is absolutely safe these days.

What Powershadow does is allow me to play with software and see if I want to keep it without adding more garbage to my registry, since there doesn't seem to be a registry cleaner that will absolutely guaranteed remove all the useless stuff, and I've tried 4 or 5 of them.

Powershadow will also allow me to let my grandkids use the computer when they visit, do whatever horrors they do, and when it's over, just reboot and my computer is back to where it was. That, all by itself is a blessing.

2. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

Bottom line, PowerShadow saves me the amount of time that I would need to restore my system to a clean state after doing live maleware tests and testing of programs that do no require reboot, this is what I use this program for, TimeSaving that is all. :) The beauty of it is, I have not ran into a conflict where I was unable to run any or all of my programs in shadow mode which is just a bonus for what I use this program for.

3. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

It's my experience that in full shadow mode all attached ext. drives are protected too,hence everything i write to external is gone after reboot !!
    I see no way to exclude these externals from being protected,otherwise i can go in single mode and that's fine,but now in full shadow mode i have to disconnect the externals and afterthat i can reboot to keep the modifications on the external drives !?!

huupi

4. Chuck57

Thanks, huupi. I've never tried full shadow mode. I want my two CD's and second drive for saving things.

5. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

ShadowUser allows the exclusion of files/folders/drives/partitions from a shadow session. from what i have read some users have their systems set-up to take advantage of this capabilities.

Mike

6. simmikie

yeah that's some edgy stuff. i prefer to let live maleware powerwalk on someone elses system, so i save time by not doing the testing!

Mike

7. yankinNcrankin

As u said edgy stuff so best you leave the fun stuff for us fun testers, you go stay in the corner where its not so edgy. :D
    I think thats why your system got breached and you didnt even know it LOL! I mean how could you know seeing as your security never made a sound when it happened? Too bad you never was edgy enough to test your system in real life scenarios to see if the security you got on your box is really doing what it suppose to .
    Yep Powershadow is alot more easy and faster to do these tests.

8. simmikie

seems as though i might have hit a nerve...so sorry. if you want to yank yourself spending time infecting your own computer,that is fine by me. happy trails...i am sure you and edgy will be very happy together.

Mike

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  9. yankinNcrankin

LOL, you hit a nerve? Don't flatter yourself. Simple response to your post which was off topic. yank myself? You being sarcasstic or you simply being a DI*K? Maybe both :) Never ever got infected using PowerShadow very easy and simple, makes my testing of malware fun and easy.
    Hey Mike just 'cause I can don't be J

10. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Don't forget to include me in that mix of yanking malware battles into and throughout my own system because, THE MORE YOU LEARN THE BETTER INFORMED YOU BECOME for the benefit of others as well as yourself.

See anything wrong with that perspective? I gladly & Galantly place my system and NERVES :eek: deliberately at risk to better inform members like yourself and so do the others that you seem to find some ingratitude with.

I would if in those same shoes offer some appreciation instead of make light of their efforts which greatly serves to better improve the very security programs that you yourself rely on for your own systems safety and the confidence you enjoy.

11. Chuck57

You're appreciated Easter, as is YanknNcrankin and the rest, especially for the help with PowerShadow.

12. wideglide36

wideglide36 Registered Member

I'll second that!

Thanks guys for all the helpful info.

13. poirot

poirot Registered Member

My sincere thanks to those like nankinNcranckin&Easter2010, who make those tests and divulge the outcome for anyone's benefit.

14. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I don't mind at all, most malware/rootkits i now truly find amusing since you can rest easy, sit back, and watch them go bonkers on your system scrambling like a thief in the night to hook your startup menu thru the registry while you're watching a program like System Safety Monitor repeatedly answer NO! NO! NOT ALLOWED!, No can do :D It's become fun where before it used to make for biting nails and holding your breathe :blink:

Not anymore, and Power Shadow puts the proverbial icing on the cake as far as safety from those fanatical malware files AFAIK. :thumb:

I just rock in my chair with delight at watching malware throw a hissey fit :D

15. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Also should mention that it's also just good sense to place POWER SHADOW'S running processes into safer yet "Protection", for example SSM affords one to add any process entries "Keep Process In Memory" and should any of them become terminated, will immediately restart it again unless someone has cleverly to develop some way to immediately wipe a file while microseconds terminated. :cautious:

16. simmikie

i never did.....for you or yankmaster. i believe i indicated that is not how i choose to spend my computing time. and as i also beleive i indicated, there is different software for different users.

as dedicated as you are to the field of security, i am sure your findings are widely publicised. is there a particular publication/forum to which you publish your maleware test findings?

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.