Potential user / MBR question...

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by AJohn, Apr 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

I currently use Whole Disk Encryption software that absolutely has to use my MBR for my PC to boot up, otherwise nothing will work.

My question is:

Is there a way to install FirstDefense-ISR in a way that doesn't edit the MBR? Is it possible to run FD-ISR from a CD? Is there any way to get FD to work with WDE?

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Maybe Todd can "Leap" in here, but my hunch would be probably not. No FD-ISR can't be run from a CD. When it switches snapshots, it uses the MBR to go to a boot program which controls which snapshot it boots into.

Might come down to the real need to encrypt a complete disk vs the benefit gained from FD-ISR

Pete

3. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

I'm not extremely familiar with the MBR, but I do know that somehow when using O&O Defrag in offline mode it runs in between the encryption MBR and Windows. I was wondering if FD-ISR could somehow work this way?

4. Peter2150

That is because the defrag is running well past the point where the MBR matters. The Master Boot Record is the first thing read from the disk, and it points to the boot loader. FD-ISR and your encryption program modify the master boot record so it first goes to their special litttle program do what they have to do and then proced on the the boot loader.

In the case of FD-ISR it gives you the option of chosing a snapshot to boot into, and in your case it stops to ask a password.

Pete

5. Leapfrog Software

Leapfrog Software Leapfrog Management

Greetings AJohn,

Time for me to "leap" in!

As Peter mentioned, the MBR is our first point of interception and required to boot your various OS snapshots. I am intrigued with your question and if you are willing I would like to see if there is something we can do for your setup. If you can please contact Leapfrog Software Support with your contact information, I will take it from there.

6. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Not only is this software awesome, but the manner in which Todd "jumps" all over these complex questions and unique applications is worth croking about.

http://dustinallen.com/Wilders/frog.JPG

Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
  7. Leapfrog Software

Leapfrog Software Leapfrog Management

Thanks Dallen! I appreciate that and I will share your wonderful post with the rest of the LSI Team!

8. dallen

dallen Registered Member

You're welcome...make sure you check out the cartoon I added. Have a beer, on me.

9. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

I greatly appreciate your ambition on this matter! I have sent you my contact info. via the contact form.

10. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

LMFAO :D

11. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Thank you AJohn, but I must say, I thought the cartoon would receive more responses.:)

12. Peter2150

Ah Dallen the cartoon man.:D

13. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I'm sure many members and lurkers enjoyed your cartoon dallen, they just don't always reply. :)

14. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Hey Dallen I liked your cartoon, it gave me a chuckle:D

15. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Thank you. Hearing you phrase it like that...witht the word "chukle" makes me think that you have heard Ron White. If you have not, maybe you should.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.