(Potential) interested Kaspersky user

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by n8chavez, Sep 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I am interested in the Kaspersky 6 AV. There are a couple things I would like to know about it: (I figure Don Pelotas could chime in maybe)

1. I use NOD32 right now as my primary AV which has great heuristics. Don, you've said over and over again that soon KAV was going to be getting a heurstics upgrade. You said that then KAV would have better heuristics than NOD. What leads you to think so. Does this represent a ESET-esqie philosophy switch for Kaspersky?

2. I currently use an HIPS (System Safety Monitor). Is it necessary to use this, given that KAV has registry protection?

And perhaps the most important:

3. Are there any discount for KAV? It has a hefty price tag. A ilttle relief would be nice.

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I am not Don but can help.

1.Heurstics will be in the Nov-Dec timeframe. I think Don would also say that both are great AVs. I dont think he would say theirs will be better except maybe in functions, not in detection until it is tested.

2. You can never go wrong with having HIPS.

3. You may find discounts on the internet if you look real hard, but personally, I dont put a price tag on having great protection.

Don can correct me.

3. n8chavez

Spoken like a non college student with money :) J/K I understand your point but money is an issue. That's why I want to make sure this is the way I want to go, which I've never done before. I switch a lot .

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

have you posted this message at kaspersky fourms?

5. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

You can download it for $24.99 usd at newegg.
    I don't think Don has stated it has better heuristics than NOD but it does have the proactive defense that is very effective (98% according to IBK's test) and is light on my system resources. Almost as light as DrWeb IMHO.
    DL the trial and take it for a spin.

EDIT: It appears that it is no longer available at that price, sorry for the error.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2006
  6. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Check Softwareoasis www.softwareoasis.net for possible discounts. The last time I looked they had Kaspersky for $10 bucks off...:D

Update...nevermind its back to retail price...:blink: :eek: :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2006
  7. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

1. I have never not said over and over again that the new heuristics will be better than Nod's (i don't think we will be disappointed though), i have said that Kaspersky users should not feel lesser protected even without the new heuristics, everybody always forget the proactive defense with which i have found/submitted quite a few trojans already, the heuristics can of course only add to that.

2. No, it will depend on your habits of course, but there are Kaspersky users who use SSM too, as i recall you just have to add an exclusion for it.

3. I was going to say Newegg, but Honyak is right unfortunately.

8. mnosteele

mnosteele Registered Member

There is a 30% discount for non-profit and organizations and educational institutions.

:)

9. btman

btman Registered Member

Keep your NOD32....

Until the next release of Kaspersky of course! Then buy it immediatly, you won't be dissapointed.

10. n8chavez

I have been testing KAV 6 for about a week and I like it very much. There are a couple of things that, at least for my configuration, work well

1. I use gmail and KAV can scan encrytyed ports, which no other AV I've seen can do.

2. I can stop using SSM, which means I won't have to worry about minute and annoying app rules. Plus LnS can filter app dlls again.

3. My log isn't filled with connection errors on update as it was with NOD

I do have one question though. When I try to connect to MSN and Gchat via Miranda, MSN and Gchat don't connect (because KAV scanning encrytyed ports). MSN tells me that the certificate of authority is "invalid or not correct." Gchat, jabber, just doesn't connect at all and says there was an error with authentication.

Any ideas?

11. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

To say the truth, if you see one or two consequent connection errors it's ok coz NOD32 finally connected to the 2nd or 3rd server and checked for a newer update.

Anyway, a server farm is currently being installed so these problems should vanish forever shortly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.