POST Error Message

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by MessageBoxA, Jul 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MessageBoxA

MessageBoxA Registered Member

I get the following error when I attempt to log into this forum:

In order to accept POST request originating from this domain, the admin must add this domain to the whitelist.

It appears to be caused by the correct and well formed trailing dot representing 'root' in the domain name. I am a middle-aged software engineer/security researcher and come from a heavy Unix background and have a habit of adding the root domain to all of my typed URL.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com./

I realize that I am much older than most users on this forum but sometimes I feel like I am one of the only dinosaurs left that follows the DNS RFC 1034.

http://www.dns-sd.org/TrailingDotsInDomainNames.html

Thanks for listening.
    -MessageBoxA

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I'm sorry, but, no one else here is using the trailing dot. We're using a default vBulletin configuration, which does not include the trailing dot on the referrer authorization list. I really don't see a good reason for us to change the vBulletin settings because of an old style of entering website addresses, especially when the fix is for people to simply not add that dot in the first place. The RFC is very likely correct, of course, but, it's just not used anymore, certainly not by 99.9% of the web users. Besides that, you must really have to work at keeping that dot there since we use a rewrite rule that changes all incoming references to "www.wilderssecurity.com" - e.g. "wilderssecurity.com" and "wilderssecurity.com." get changed back to "www.wilderssecurity.com" with each click.

Anyway, the first thing I do when a problem like this is reported is go to the vBulletin.com website and see how they handle it. Like us, they have a rewrite rule that removes the trailing dot each click. So, I think we'll keep our current configuration.

Edit: Spot checking other websites: Google also rewrites the trailing dot off the address, as do Amazon and Facebook. Microsoft and Yahoo redirect you to an error page stating either invalid hostname or unsupported browser, if you use the trailing dot. My Opera browser treats all addresses with trailing dots as if I wanted to issue a search, not go to the actual website. So, Opera must be far away from following that RFC.

3. MessageBoxA

MessageBoxA Registered Member

No, I do not need to remove the dot to browse the forum as long as I am not logged in. However it is possible that the squid based security proxy above me is preserving the root domain. Most Unix/*nix based software correctly follow RFC specs.

Yes, I know and have actually complained directly to google/microsoft about this. It seems there is sparse support for the root domain these days. Ironically if you test with older browsers and older versions of IIS they use to follow the RFC specs.

To make matters worse google in all of its infinite wisdom decided to remove the HTTP protocol specifier from the URL in the latest versions of Chrome/Chromium.

Oh well, anyway thanks for listening.

-MessageBoxA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.