Post "dodgy" marketing examples here.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Vladimyr, Jul 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

Having previously posted this little gem fom PC Tools (complete with gravely dramatic music), the attention of my browser has just today been pointed to this page from COMODO.

Top of the page it's,

"COMODO
    Science Not Hype
    "

But... in only the time it takes to move your eyes to the bottom left (helpfully pointed to by the impossibly skinny girl "scientist"), it's clearly,

Hype, not science

See where the links take you. o_O

2. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

3. Vladimyr

The guy who pointed me to the COMODO page is a CIS user. He's pretty mad about it.

4. eplose

eplose Registered Member

5. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

That's wrong, ESET was advertising 100% ITW malware detection proved by Virus Bulleting tests. Virus Bulletin is a prestigious testing organization.

7. phalanaxus

phalanaxus Registered Member

Sorry but I have to disagree. It says eset offers 100% protection and 0 false positives AND eset has the most consecutive VB100 awards (which are based on 100% protection and 0 false positives)

If it was intended to be otherwise, it isn't doing that.

8. carat

carat Guest

100 % DETECTION! (in VB 100 tests)

I like ESET but that kind of advertisement is really ridiculous! o_O

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2012
  9. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

If you dont like how the tests are named (VB100); you can request that by sending a mail to VirusBulletin.

They are known by the annual international conferences spoken by security experts from all the world, objective AV tests and the well known VB magazine.

10. toxinon12345

"In The Wild" threats are threats reported by more than one independent researcher around the world.
    ITW threats are a small set representing the most importants threats, but many products fail to detect the whole set.

If I remember correctly, these tests are called "CheckMark Level One" in WestCoast Labs tests, but many products still fail in the detection of ALL threats in the given set.

11. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Awesome! 60% of the time, it works every time :D

12. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

13. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

14. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

marcos as i said i LOVE my eset and i use it personally and i sell it etc. i just think that could have been worded differently as i had actual customers that saw that add and before they even had eset on their system they said they saw an add for a anti virus that had 100% detection and then they toldme it was eset and i had to explain..

15. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi zfactor
    I think it should in this case be called Poetic Licence Marketing, rather then Dodgy Marketing. :)

Take Care
    TheQuest :cool:

16. malexous

malexous Registered Member

17. phalanaxus

Noone is arguing with VB100 tests here, the sentence structure they use imply that they prevent 100 and also they have consecutive VB100 awards.
    I know it's a merketing gimmick but writing 100% in huge colored letters and mentioning VB100 in small later doesn't help either.

18. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

Personally I don't think the ESET ad is that bad, but I'm used to the big claims in ads requiring a qualifier.

While there are plenty of people who still believe in the infallibility of the antivirus - who will take from that advertisement that ESET will make them immune to everything - it's not as though they wrote the qualifier in the smallest print. It's reasonably sized, and intelligent person will read between the lines and realise that other tests will presumably not be 100%/0% like the 'consecutive VB100' tests.

Still, there are ways to misread the wording of it.

The Comodo page is pretty blatantly bad.

19. phalanaxus

I agree about Comodo page. They never learned proper marketing.

About ESET; even if you read the small lines it still doesn't imply that the 100% is obtained from VB100, it says it offers 100% and 0 fp, and it also has consecutive VB100 awards (then explains on what basis this award is given).

Anyway, I'm probably keeping this too long so it's my last rant :rolleyes:

20. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

Yes I can see how it might be misread that way - that the award was given due to ESET's general 100% detections and 0% FP. I still think an intelligent reader will understand what is really being said.

21. toxinon12345

For a given test period that means:

100% means ALL samples detected in the test set.
    And 0% means NO false positives.

22. kareldjag

kareldjag Registered Member

Hi
    The marketing of fear is the motor of the security industry.
    For a secure browsing, there is no need VB100 certified antivirus, as Windows can be locked for a high level of security.
    Most AV tests are intended to help the av industry in selling more and more licenses...as they are corrupted by default...
    More than some marketing practices, the worst is the partnerships between pC manufacturers and some software editors (Antivirus for instance).
    A recent judgment of a French court provides some hope for computing consummers http://non.aux.racketiciels.info/racketware-info/news/hardware-software-bundling-crumbles-france

On the other hand , it is up to anyone to be aware of this kind of practices, as there is no vaccine against cupidity and stupidity...just remember Power Plate that promoted a Mr Olympia body in a few hours...

Rgds

23. Vladimyr

Yes. The more I look at it the more contemptible it appears.

I do seem to remember occasions where someone who has had the temerity not to think that CIS is just the greatest thing since... well, just the greatest thing, ever, has been branded a "hater". Someone whose mind is already closed, blind to any actual merits that CIS may possess.

Now at 'amplicate.com' you can only be a "lover" or a "hater", i.e. a "fanboy" or a "troll".

Thank you Comodo for this outstandingly credible promotion of CIS via a slanging match between its users and those who prefer competing products.

Can I have my lobotomy now?

24. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

25. ShockWaves

ShockWaves Registered Member

Apple: You will never catch a virus on a Mac.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.