Possibly A Simpler Approach To Security For Some

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DasFox, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Something I was thinking about if some people have so much trouble being online then they shouldn't until they learn a little.

Then if they can't handle it still, rather then installing different types of Windows applications to build a fort around their PC for protection, these people would be better off running something like Vmware player and running Linux inside of it.

This now is going eliminate all threats much better, and will be a much safer approach rather then installing all sorts of 3rd party MS apps you don't even know if they are going to work well or not.

Vmware player:
    http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

http://www.thoughtpolice.co.uk/vmware/

Also be sure to check out on Vmware's site the "VMware Virtual Appliance Marketplace" for more images.

Have fun! :D

2. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Can't argue with the safety aspect, but the average user is not going to touch virtualization as it entails more than turning on the computer and surfing. Many of the members of this forum who do the whole fort thing do so because they enjoy it. There is a certain withdrawal problem when you move to virualization and linux. I sometimes run rkhunter and chkrootkit not because I think they will find anything, it just makes the shaking stop.

3. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I think you're on to something Benny. I've been running the latest Ubuntu for the past couple of days off live CD. I shouldn't be, but I find myself missing the security software I have on XP. Moving to linux is a mindset change. I wonder if that's why linux and Mac users are happy while windows users tend to be furtive distrustful of others and seem to always be harried and tense. *joke mode off*

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

The average user should probably just run linux fullstop. At least until they learn how to operate safely. I'm honestly thinking about changing my family and friends systems over to linux to simplify things. I just spent the whole weekend fixing up infected windows systems!

5. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

FWIW, for the first time ever, I tried a linux live cd last night. It was the PCLOS Gnome 2.21.2 release and to my amazement, it worked. I was able to stream my favorite music station, play a song that was on my hard drive, use Firefox and play around the pre-installed softwares. I really liked what I saw.

I've been reading so many good things about linux working right out of the box, I thought I would give it a go. I didn't have to read much about it before I tried it either. It did take me out of my comfort zone because I've used Windows for so long, but I think I may have found a new hobby :).

innerpeace

6. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

can somebody point me to a flavor to run all my Adobe app.and without command line,i guess it would be a pain to get it work on every linux .M$ with all his shortcomings at least let Photoshop and other adobe stuff fly !

7. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I'm no expert but i was browsing through a recent pc mag and it had an article about running windows games and apps in linux using WINE. There is a branch of wine called 'CrossOver' which can handle things like ms office, adobe photoshop and even world of warcraft. Its not free but it does eliminate the need to use the command line.
    Theres also another branch called 'Cadega' which is cheaper but is mainly aimed towards windows games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.