Possible to install software into a virtualization layer

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by vrt1o, Apr 29, 2016.

1. vrt1o

vrt1o Registered Member

Hello everyone,

For the past several years I've been using linux as my OS. Due to school, I need to revert back to windows. Far more security vulnerabilities and other headaches to deal with on windows than linux. Far more security programs nowadays than when I used windows as my primary os - half of whom I've never even heard of.

I'm not sure if such a program exists or not but I'm looking for a piece of software into which I could install other pieces of software into. These would be programs I'd use seldomly but don't want on my actual system. Programs such as skype, adobe editor, photoshop - I would use these several times in a year. I've read sandboxie might be able to do it but is there a program designed specifically for this? I could use a VM but it's too much of a hassle, looking for something more simple.

Way back in the day, I used this: http://lifehacker.com/162910/hack-attack-safely-install-software-in-a-virtual-layer. It wasn't that good so I'm hoping there is something better.

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

You can use Sandboxie to install software that doesn't need driver to operate correctly. For situations where driver needs to be installed, you can use VM - I would suggest VirtualBox. Skype, Adobe; Photoshop could run under SBIE I guess, but you will have to try it for yourself.

3. guest

guest Guest

your best bet would be Virtual Box installed on your Linux distro, you will just have to select the Windows OS you need and install the required softs in there.

4. vrt1o

vrt1o Registered Member

Vmware running on a linux distro would be my preferred solution, however that is not feasible at the moment. The skylake processors, especially the power management aspect are lacking on the linux front currently. So it'll probably be at least 2 kernel updates before everything is in order. Additionally, running a VM can be taxing on the system and I need to optimize the laptop for battery life.

Thank you for your suggestion, I'll try sandboxie.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.