Possible to Delete images in Safe Zone?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by gunga, Jun 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gunga

gunga Registered Member

Is it possible to selectively delete images? In the .pdf for TI- manage acronis safe zone- I can find not way to select and delete images. It seems that only when the zone becomes "too crowded" will it delete the oldest image, is that right? Seems a bit feeble, if true. Tell me I'm wrong. Thanks, Din

2. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

Yes the oldest image is automatically deleted when the Secure Zone becomes full. There is no need for you to manually delete images as TI manages the SZ for you. The only time that you will get an 'out of space' error is if you have only one full backup and then you fill the SZ with incrementals.

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Just to add to pjb024's reply. No, it's currently not possible to selectively delete images in the SZ. In any case, you certainly wouldn't want to do this via Windows as it's supposed to be a "Secure" zone after all.

Regards

4. gunga

gunga Registered Member

All right, how does this work? I have a full image of my C: drive plus several incrementals in ASZ...what happens when I run out of space? Is increasing the size of the safe zone my only option? Could I create another safe zone, copy the original full image (a clean install) to that...then delete the old ASZ...then add the new incremental?

It just happens that I lost a full image without warning, when I created a second full image in the same zone- I have a dual boot system and was trying to back up both- :'( + :mad:

Right now I have the second drive backed up as a .tib (I think it's called) on a separate partition.

I guess what I really want is to have a full Clean install-image stored separately from everything, then keep my working images in ASZ, does that sound reasonable? Thanks for letting work these ideas out in the forum.
    Feedback? Din

5. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

What you need is a backup methodology such that you do periodic full backup followed by intermediate incrementals. For example you could schedule a weekly full backup and daily incrementals. Assuming you are backing up to the SZ (recommended) you need to create a SZ that is large enough to accomodate three backup cycles minimum. Then you will never run out of space because the oldest full backup and its related incrementals is deleted automatically when the SZ becomes full.

Whatever you do keep it simple. Many people make backup strategies that are too 'clever' when it should be kept simple. The simple strategy will be reliable and the clever strategy often fails when it is needed most because it is then that the simple flaw in the clever strategy is revealed.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello gunga,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please let me remind you the Acronis Secure Zone rules for managing backups:

If there is not enough free space in Acronis Secure Zone to create a backup (either full or incremental), then Acronis True Image deletes the oldest full backup with all subsequent incremental backups.

If there is only one full backup (with subsequent incremental backups) left and full backup is in progress, then this only full backup (with subsequent incremental backup images) is deleted.

Otherwise (only one full backup left, and incremental backup is in progress) you will get out of space error. In this case you will have to either create full backup or increase the Acronis Secure Zone size.

You can always check how much free space left in Acronis Secure Zone on the second page of the Manage Acronis Secure Zone wizard.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.