Possible Smitfraud fix False Positive ?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Rieske, May 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Get

Get Guest

@nameless: you're tip is :thumb: of course, but that's the only valid point you're making and when you are saying in the beginning ... "So if your request is addressed, ...someone else will come around, complaining ...Then, someone else will run another "cleanup" utility that detects and deletes 0-byte files (and such utilities do exist).And so on." then "By the way, I will say that it's pretty far from ideal that NOD32 does not automatically create a quarantine directory and registry value when it needs to." begs for sarcasm and it btw is not intended to be nasty.

2. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

Very sorry not to have seen any reaction from Eset, so far.......and I still think it's important enough!!!
    So....please!!!

3. pepim

pepim Registered Member

I'm not quite sure Ben, but I thought by reading this posting of Get that NOD is working on it?

Last edited: May 29, 2006
  4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

This was the official answer from Eset to this problem.

5. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

Just great, sorry, I missed that. ;)

6. Get

Get Guest

"There will be a workaround added for this to the upcoming installers and Macecraft (JV16), and, as I can imagine, others will be asked to add the key to their whitelist."

Just tested it with the new Nod and the newest JV16 and it still isn't fixed. Wasn't Nod32 2.7 the upcoming installer?

7. Get

Get Guest

Hm, takes a long time to answer something that doesn't look like a difficult question . A simple yes or no will do. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2006
  8. pepim

pepim Registered Member

I wonder if Eset overlooked this posting? I also am curious for the answer.

9. Get

Get Guest

That's not very plausible looking at the 24 hours between postings. The question just isn't answered.

Not giving an answer is an answer in itself. Draw your own conclusions. Mine is to move on to another AV, when my licence has expired.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2006
  10. pepim

pepim Registered Member

It looks like you're right Get. Sad to see this issue doesn't seem to be fixed and even sadder that we stay in the dark for the reason why... :(

11. Marcos

I've just installed jv16 Powertools 2006, ran a registry cleaner and it didn't find any ESET key as redundant, thus it didn't delete anything that could affect NOD32.

12. Get

Get Guest

That's because you already had the infected-folder. When you haven't, because you didn't quarantine anything yet the key responsible for the creation of the infected-folder will be found. That's the problem. Many people will delete everything JV16 (or another regcleaner for that matter) finds and the infected-folder will never be created. When that happens and NOD quarantines/deletes something it will only be deleted. That way I once lost something (false positive) of which I had a backup, but when you loose something irreplaceable without a backup it's a big problem.

13. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Regcleaners are powerful tools and usually they cause more troubles than improvements in the speed and/or stability
    You MUST backup and double-ckeck EVERYTHING you want to delete
    Consider using tools like ERUNT

14. Marcos

Nope, I intentionally renamed the original "infected" folder and didn't create a new one nor did I quarantine anything. I gather they excluded this key from scanning.

15. Get

Get Guest

To test it I also renamed the empty infected-folder and still JV16 finds the key (Error severity: High, Error description: File or directory "C:\Program Files\Eset\infected" does not exist). It's not excluded from scanning on my pc, but even if it did that's not really the point. The point is it doesn't exclude it after a fresh Nod32-install.

16. Marcos

Did you actually use jv16 Powertools 2006 as I did?

17. Get

Get Guest

Yes and old version too. Made no difference, but even when regcleanerbrands exclude this key then still a lot of people use the old versions so then the problem will still exist for those people. When the infected-folder would be created as soon as you install Nod32 then there would be no problem whatsoever, so for me it's hard to grasp why that isn't/can't be done. o_O

18. Marcos

Please PM the exactr instructions how to replicate the problem as I was unable to do so. The registry cleaner didn't flag the key with the path to the infected folder even if it didn't actually exist.

19. Get

Get Guest

Did last evening. Maybe something went wrong so I will paste it here also to be on the safe side:

The actual problem can be replicated by uninstalling NOD32 and then installing it again. There won't be an infectedfolder untill there's something quarantined. When you run for example JV16 before the infectedfolder is created then it wil flag the key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Eset\Nod\CurrentVersion\Common]
    "QuarantineDirectory"="C:\\Program Files\\Eset\\infected"

When you already have an infectedfolder and don't want to go through the uninstall/install-routine you can change the name of the infectedfolder as you did and when you then run JV16 it will also flag the key because then the key won't be pointing at something. It then also says: "Error description: File or directory "C:\Program Files\Eset\infected" does not exist", which is true by then, because after renaming "infected" it will not exist anymore by that name.

20. pepim

pepim Registered Member

Still curious, what's going on? :rolleyes:

21. Get

Get Guest

Marcos, on another computer, also found the problem to be present and will contact Macecraft (jv16) to get it fixed asap and it will be fixed in NOD32 3.0 at latest. :)

22. pepim

pepim Registered Member

Glad to see the problem will be solved!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.