Possible issue in ProcX

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by WYBaugh, Mar 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WYBaugh

WYBaugh Registered Member

Hi Jason/gkweb,

I was installing a new game (SHIII) and my CPU was pegged during the entire install. Running ProcX I think it was showing incorrect CPU % compared to what Task Manager was displaying; especially looking at the System Idle process. Please see the following image:

http://www.buttuglysoftware.com/procx.jpg

I apologize if I'm incorrect on the above.

Thanks,

Bill

2. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

Hi WYBaugh!

This is mine, are you sure it doesn't mean 75% is not being used? With mine just sitting - not connected to the internet - it was showing almost 95%+?

OR maybe we are both reading this wrong:D, any help?

Thanks!

Marja:cool:

Attached Files:

3. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

Now, after looking at your Task Manager, I am confused all over again, don't use Task Manager so can't compare, I am sure someone with the answers will be by, takes patience!

Have a great day, I'm checking back later!

Marja:cool:

4. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

Wow! Do you really need all those processes running? You're using about 25% processor usage.

Your 75% display indicates about 25% actual CPU usage - just idling.

My ProcX reading shows 98% - with 22 processes running - including Firewall, AV, AS and AT programs resident.

Some things to consider:
    - Restrict your Startup items to only those necessary.
    - Restrict running processes to those you need.

A decent discussion of 'necessary' processes is here: http://www.blackviper.com/

No criticism is intended. There's really no 'best' setup - only what's best for you. Just to point out that if your CPU burden is 25% at idle, you'll have some serious performance drag when running heavy-useage apps or games.

EDIT: Just to be sure, I downloaded ProcX. It confirmed same report as both Task Manager and ProcessExplorer.

Hope this helps!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2005
  5. WYBaugh

I may be confusing the issue here but at normal resting my System Idle is at 98%. From my screenshot above, the CPU utilization was at 100% so the System Idle (as in the task manager) was showing 0% meaning CPU was being utilized by the install program and other processes to make it 100% utilized. ProcX shows System Idle at 75% in the screen shot...just doesn't make sense to me in the direct comparison to the Task Manager.

I had a lot of programs running at the time so that's why the number of processes. I use Black Viper to trim the services.

Bill

6. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hi,

as a quick clue, task manager and ProcX at the same time will not necessarely display the exact same CPU usage due to the polling interval ProcX uses which is not the same as Task Manager.

Then if anyway there is really an issue with CPU usage, check with another process viewer (like process explorer) and if the bug is sure, write here your OS
    and CPU.

Also if ProcX is blocked from accessing some processes (because of possible security program you may have) it can surely impact it's CPU usage computation.

Regards,
    gkweb.

7. WYBaugh

Hey gkweb,

From watching the installation with ProcX and Task Manager, ProcX never matched or went below 75% on System Idle.

I am running Windows XP SP2 with an AMD Athlon XP 3000+. I am running as Admin and have no blocking programs to keep ProcX from accesing processes.

I'll try later to reproduce the same condition and see how things behave with Process Explorer in the mix.

Thanks,

Bill

8. WYBaugh

9. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Ok.

I add it to my check list, thanks you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.