Possible infection of "Worm.Somefool.P" ~ some help, please!

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Buraqina, May 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buraqina

Buraqina Registered Member

In a house! Well...England ~ that's as much as you
    Hi all :)
    My name's Buraqina, and I've only just joined, so hope I'm going about things right! I understand from what I've seen here several people have already asked about the same thing, but I'm hoping someone will be able to help me! I'm a teenager and the only one in the house who understands anything about computers, so I have to manage everything myself, and dealing with viruses is something I have not a lot of idea about unfortunately!
    A day or two ago in my Yahoo account I recieved an e-mail saying a e-mail reply I;d supposedly sent (which I had not) had not been delivered because of this Worm.Somefool.P . A while before this the mailing list I was a member of fell unusually quiet and I started getting the odd e-mail with strange attatchments, of which I read the e-mails, but deleted them straight away. I am now getting ectremely few replies from the list, which is usually flourishing in talk, and some mails everyday like the ones I described above: message failures I never sent that have the virus, and strange e-mails with attatchments.
    I suspect my computer may now have the virus, but I don't know what now to do - all the solutions I've read on the net are too full of freaky high tech computer lingo to me, which I can't follow! I'd say I'm a good PC user for my age, but this is beyond me - I could really do with some kind person to help me out and take me through what I need to do step by simple step :( I'm running Windows XP (oh how I miss the old windows version practically free from the latest virus threats... :( )I currently have McAfee which came with my PC when I got it, of which the licence for updates expired a while ago, and I've been unwilling to get a new virus checker until now after hearing supposed problems and conflics when changing from one to another (stupid, I know! :doubt: ) I'm now trying to get hold of the latest updates from the Microsoft Windows Update site, and am getting myself Zone Alarm and AVG as my new protection. A friend also reccomended BullGuard of which they said "gets the hell rid of anything" so I am downloading it, installing it to get rid of anything and then either using up the 2 month free trial or uninstall it and get AVG up right after that...not much of a plan maybe, I know :oops:
    So please, any help is greatly appreciated, I'm stuck in a right rut and don't know how to get out of it, and I don't want to do anything which might dig me down deeper :doubt: Thankyou very much for reading this and your help, it is greatly appreciated! :)

~Buraqina

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hi Buraqina :)

Welcome to Wilders.

Yes we can help. ;)

please follow the instructions here,

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=15913

then post your HijackThis log in the hijack cleaning forum with a full description of your problem and one of the experts will give u recommendations on any malware found.

snowbound

3. Buraqina

Buraqina Registered Member

In a house! Well...England ~ that's as much as you
    Hi snowbound, and thanks very much for your help and the warm welcome! :)

I've followed the instructions and it seems I have nothing nasty lurking about on my PC thankfully :D After what I've learnt and been told, I think someone on the mailing list I'm a member of has got the Netsky worm and it's kind of posessed the list and tries to send about 3 or 4 e-mails to me every day with the virus in it :eek: I think everyone else on the list must be getting the same thing though and hopefully it'll clear up soon :doubt: Thanks yet again for your help, it is greatly appreciated! :)

~ Buraqina

4. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Your Welcome. ;)

Hopefully everything will work out. :)

snowbound

5. WooshaQ

WooshaQ Guest

Sorry, but can you explain me what does the Spybot has to do with searching for a virus? I recently got the mail myself but telling that I have Somefool.f stuff... But it's not a spyware/adaware I think... so why spybot?

6. pulse

pulse Registered Member

Hi..need help, i have the same problem as everyone regarding the above virus , keep getting emails that i have not send telling me to check my computer regarding infected emails being send my my computer.....how can i fix this, i have hardly no knowledge of computers, i do have norton anti virus and run live update everyday....but this ain't detecting any virus also their web site does not have the above virus definition...new member....your help will be greatly appreciated... o_O o_O o_O

7. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi guys, welcome to forum. :D

@ WhoosaQ: The reason it is recommended to run the various apps Snowbound posted the link to, is to try and get rid of as many nasty things as possible FIRST, before you post a HiJackThis log file for interpretation.

AdAware and SpybotS&D can/do remove a lot of Malware that is extremely bad for your system that AV/AT's do not detect.

Put simply AV [anti-virus] programs are mainly dedicated to viruses
    AT [anti-trojan] programs for Trojans
    and a lot of other apps like AdAware/SpybotS&D/Spyware Sweeper, etc. search for Malware like Browser Hijackers, Keyloggers, Active-X based spyware, Dialers, tracking cookies, etc. etc. a whole range which no ONE program can detect.

So that's the reason that people are directed to do the above first, then the experts can get to the nuts and bolts of your problem without first having to get rid of things that can be done by you.

HTH in some small way.

Cheers, TAS

8. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

ramoth,

Your post has been splitted of and moved to the apropriate forum over here. As soon as time permits one of our experts will attend your issue.

regards,

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.