Possible conflict with Security system programming software.

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by jpmc13, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpmc13

jpmc13 Registered Member

Hi;
    I have been using NOD32 for several months now, and love how it works in the background and how it updates itself daily. I purchased a new laptop to program electronic security systems back in September as my old laptop was experiencing problems at boot up. My old laptop had Norton AV on it and there was never a problem. I installed NOD32 on the new machine, and almost immediately started having problems when using the alarm software. I am not a software programmer, so I can't say for sure exactly what is causing the problem. The only other software that I installed on the new laptop was Mozilla FireFox. I didn't install anything else like I had on the older laptop, such as MS Office or Quickbooks Pro, etc. I tried to keep this machine running as fast and as lean as possible. Almost immediately, I started getting General Protection Fault errors when online with a subscriber's control panel. The software is called Compass and is used for programming Honeywell (Ademco) burglar and fire alarm systems. I spent many hours online and on hold with tech support, all to no avail. The only thing different about my laptop was the anti-virus software. What was weird, I didn't get a GPF error every time. I finally started quitting NOD32 prior to starting the Compass software, and the problem seems to have gone away. I was online with a subscriber panel last week, and realized that I hadn't quit NOD32, so I shut it down right away. Well guess what? About 30 seconds later I got a GPF error. I have to disconnect and actually reboot the laptop to correct the problem, and then shut off NOD32 before starting the Compass software again. Any thoughts or suggestions? I apologize for the long winded post, but I figured I would otherwise have people asking me a bunch of "what if" type questions. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.:thumb:

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hello !

Norton could be the problem . Norton is known not to remove itself correctly everytime and as you may know running two or more AV software at the same time can cause conflicts , in this case possible leftover of Norton .

I suggest you do the following:

1.Uninstall NOD32 from Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs . Reboot.
    2.Manually delete the folder C:\Program files\ESET
    3.Visit Symantec's site and download the Norton removal tool (from here) . Then run it so that you ensure Norton is completely gone
    4.Run Windows Disk Cleanup with all things checked from Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Disk Cleanup
    5.Repair Winsock , read here . Reboot after that
    6.Download NOD32 from ESET's site here and install it . Use Typical settings . Reboot
    7.After that , open AMON->Setup->"Exclusions" folder and permanently exclude from scanning the directory of the program you have problems with.
    8.Open IMON->Setup->"Miscellaneous" tab->Edit the exclusions and add the EXE file of the particular program you have problems with
    9.Reboot to see if there is a problem

Can you also provide more information and link to that program so that ESET TechSupport check it to ensure if it might conflict with NOD :)

3. jpmc13

jpmc13 Registered Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I sort of thought this thread would languish on the board for weeks on end. Anyway, here is the deal: I wasn't as succinct as I should have been. I NEVER had Norton on that machine. At about the time I purchased the laptop, I had gotten sick of Norton and all of the problems that is has caused me in other apps over the years. The only thing I didn't do, was to check and see if the laptop came with some AV software that hadn't been activated. It's an Acer Aspire, and I don't recall seeing anything like that, but I will check. As I said before, I don't even know for sure that NOD32 is causing the GPF error. But by process of elimination, it's the only thing left that I can think of, and when I shut it down prior to opening the application, I haven't gotten anymore GPF errors. I will try turning off the scan of the alarm software. That may very well have been causing the GPF, as it wouldn't cause the problem immediately or every time I used the software. Thank you so much for your help. I will post further if this absolutely works. I figure that I can't be the only guy in the world using NOD32 and the Honeywell Compass software.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.