Possible Conflict between Acronis True Image and Norton Ghost 2003

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by wumply, Feb 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wumply

wumply Registered Member

I am running XP Home edition. Currently my setup is my C drive on a Seagate disc as master and my G drive, a Samsung disc, as slave. And except that I cannot currently clone my C drive to my G drive, everything is working just fine.

2-3 months ago I used Acronis 9.0 during the 15-day free trial period and it cloned my C drive beautifully. However, I did not purchase the full version and of course the trial period has expired.

I did however very recently try again to clone my C drive to my G drive using Norton Ghost 2003. It would not clone. I got the message: "Error 11030...invalid destination drive." Norton no longer offers help for Ghost 2003. All I have been able to find out about this message (an operating system error code apparently from Microsoft) online is its description: "an invalid shaping rate object was found inthe QOS provider-specific buffer." Which leaves me in left field!

I also discovered the following; perhaps it is related. If I go to My Computer and select either my C OR my G drive, right click and select "backup" from the context menu, I read that "The trial version of Acronis True Image is fully operational but works only for 15 days." Re the G drive, the fact is that even though just yesterday I did a quick format of it, your Acronis message is still there.

So with that background, my questions:

1. Could the fact that both my A and G drives when I follow the steps above give me the quoted message, viz "The trial version of Acronis..." somehow be causing me to get the 11030 message. If so what would you suggest I do to correct things.

2. And if the 11030 message is not due to the presence of "the trial version of Acronis..." re both C and G drives, do you have some suggestion as to what I CAN do to stop getting the 11030 msg and get my C drive cloned? If I were to delete Ghost 2003 and pay for Acronis (and install it), do you think I would be able to clone?

2. mustang

mustang Developer

This may be a silly question, but did you try cloning with the Ghost 2003 boot floppy using the Disk to Disk function? I never did trust Ghost 2003 running from Windows.

mustang

3. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

1. Are you trying to replace the C drive with the G drive?
    2. Or, do you just want to make a copy of the files.

3. FYI, the Ghost 10 user guide has a chapter on copying a drive. Perhaps, tere is such a chapter in the Ghost 2003 user guide?

4. The Acronis TI 9 user guide also has a discussion of cloning drives.

4. rharris270

rharris270 Registered Member

GHOST 2003 can be run two ways (1) from 2 floppy disks, (2) from within windows, then it drops to DOS, does its job, and returns to windows.

In my experience, the floppy disk method is more reliable, and even be used to backup non-windows partitions, such as those associated with LINUX. (By the way, the True Image bootable CD can also be used to backup non-winodows partitions, and I personally think that TI is easier to use.)

As for a TI9/GHOST2003 interaction, did you make a "secure zone" with TI9? If so, that may be a hidden partition on your hard drive, and that may be confusing GHOST, if run from within windows. But, it should not confuse GHOST run from the floppy set. However, do not be surprised if GHOST "see" extra partitions when run from the floppy set. Some PC makers hide diagnostic tools, even some complete disk images, on hidden partitions.

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

This thread has been moved here to Software and Services as it is not an Acronis support issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.