Possibility to lock a program folder?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Caratacus, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caratacus

Caratacus Registered Member

Can anyone recommend a password-locked-folder program that will prevent other users from getting into the folder of Program "X" (in this case SpyBuddy which has to start with WindowsXP startup and then monitor a kid's use of the computer) but still allows Program "X" to run normally?

The idea is that though the kid knows that the program is on the machine & supervising him he can't get into the folder and uninstall it etc. Hopefully there is a folder lock program that will prevent such access but still allow the monitorinf prog to function normally.

2. southcat

southcat Registered Member

3. Caratacus

Thanks SouthCat!

But - will Windows still be able to access and run automatically programs in a locked folder?

4. lockdown

lockdown Guest

What about Winguard Pro? It sounds like it might be what your looking for and there is a free version available too. ;) http://www.winguardpro.com

5. Caratacus

Thanks Lockdown but again that does not allow me to lock a folder with a program in it that I want to run automatically at Windows startup, yet at the same time be inaccessible to terrorist children via My Computer or Windows Explorer. Still, it's a handy prog and it DOES allow me to password protect Add/Remove Programs.

6. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

7. southcat

southcat Registered Member

Hello Caratacus. Those programs allow you set the locked folder read-only but cannot write or delete it.

However, a powerful program may also dangerous. If you forget the password, you always have to reinstall windows to unlock the locked folder.

regards

8. Caratacus

INFINITY, I will try out Invisible Secrets as you say and see how it runs. Thaks!

Southcat: that is the information I need. I'll give FG & FL a whirl along with Inv Secrets & see which does the job best. I'll report back later.

Thanks, comrades, for the help - much appreciated!

9. notageek

notageek Registered Member

There's a tool in WinNer Twaek that locks folders. I'm using that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.