Ports not stealth with LooknStop

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by HankPiano, Nov 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HankPiano

HankPiano Registered Member

I uninstalled Sunbelt Kerio and installed LooknStop. Everything looked fine, the ShieldsUp test showed all ports on 'stealth'. Checking the Security Centre I found out, to my surprise, that the Windows Firewall had been activated. I deactivated this firewall, did a second test on ShieldsUp and this time I didn't pass the test: a port somewhere between 70 and 90 and a whole row in the thousand were only 'closed'.
    I uninstalled LooknStop, installed it again, same problem. Put back an Acronis-image with Kerio, for the time being. Anybody knows what is the problem and what to do about it?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

when u had looknstop, did u try using the Enhanced Ruleset?

3. HankPiano

No, I didn't. Just now I saw Blackspear's thread 'Setup and Settings for Look ā€˜nā€™ Stop'. I surely will look into that.

4. HankPiano

Okay, I loaded the EnhancedRulesSet and now all ports are stealth again. Thanks :) !

Just one newbie-question more (I hope you don't mind): what does this sound tell me, every time this short dry sound? Is it important? I saw under the 'option' tab it's possible to deactivate it. I would like to do that because it annoys me a little bit. Would that be okay?

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

yes it would be ok to disable the sound. it just beeps when there log entries (usually attacks, scans, or whatever).

6. HankPiano

OK, thanks again! I 'll try to get familiar with this firewall as soon as possible, it seems to me a nice and light one.

7. HankPiano

The firewall is running smoothly now and I'm very pleased with it, in fact it's the best one I've tried so far: simple, efficient, easy to use after a short learning period. Most of all I'm impressed with it's lightness. Before I used Sunbelt Kerio, not a bad firewall, but compared with Kerio LooknStop is like a feather. So, I think this little program will keep its place in my system. Thanks :) .

8. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

I've so far not had to delve into creating rules, where as I guess with all rules based firewalls, things get a bit more complicated. I have to say, other than a few usage quuestions at the start, as opposed to many apps I've used, LnS has not given one bit of trouble.

The lack of postings in the LnS forum compared to others is perhaps testament to it's stability.

IMHO - you've made a good choice :)

9. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

:cool:
    Thanks HankPiano for your appreciation.

Frederic

10. RyanM

RyanM Registered Member

And if you ever DO need to set rules for individual programs (port forwarding, etc), the Look 'n' Stop Web site has got some of the more common rules that can be imported into LnS.

I had to go there to get the rules to allow the two other PCs on my home network to "see" each other, and for mine to see theirs. Look 'n' Stop is a wonderful, and powerful little firewall. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Keep up the good work Frederic, and anyone else related to LnS :D

Ryan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.