PortableApps.com Debuts Freeware Portable Apps

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JRViejo, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Thank you JRViejo. I checked today and i only saw the first 3. The only doubt i have is, is it still completely portable - can i use it anywhere, at home or the office?

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Pedro, you're welcome! The new Freeware programs are packaged in the same .paf format as the other Open Source software; they should work without any major issues.

Keep in mind that software from PortableApps.com are not stealth and as explained by John T. Haller in this Post, they do leave some traces behind.

At home, you can use RegShot to see what has changed.

In an office environment, following those traces might get you in trouble with the powers that be, should they not want workers using software other than those provided by them. Best thing to do there is first check with management!

4. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I'm not worried with MRU's and such, that's just Windows. Only app specific, and it's not a concern, just a feature i value.
    Incidentaly, i use and abuse of Regshot. :)

But what i meant above was really about the license. Can i use it at the office, or do i need to pay for a license? (ie, how "portable" is it, exactly)

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Pedro, is this your first time using PortableApps software? Look at this PortableApps.com Suite and PortableApps.com Platform page for more info.

No, there are no license payments to their software, just download them to a USB stick, external hard drive or to a PC folder and enjoy!

6. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

No :p
    I'm using it for some time now. The GPL i get, the 'whatever freeware license' i don't. Will they make a note when some program is only free for personal use?

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

LOL I'm glad you have been using it. :D

As I understand it, Freeware software is being provided because of an arrangement between PortableApps and the Freeware developer to convert their software using a .paf format and platform. In the Applications page, any software that is Freeware will be marked as such, to differentiate it from Open Source programs.

I assume that any restrictions (don't see any now) that the developer places on their software, would be listed on the individual software page at PortableApps.com. You could also click the Learn More About... links to see if there are restrictions.

8. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Yeah, i hope so.

Meanwhile, another freeware is released. :)

9. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Their argument for including proprietary software makes some interesting reading:
    http://portableapps.com/news/2009-10-22_-_portableapps.com_debuts_freeware_portable_apps

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.