Portable sandboxie?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by david banner, Feb 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. david banner

david banner Registered Member

This post is quite old but refers to a portable sandboxie. Is there such and is it as good as the usual sandboxie. I have a new 64 bit win 7 and prefer portable if possible.
    This says "Sandboxie itself is not portable software, but it facilitates the portability of a large number of applications. ".What does that mean?

2. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

SBIE needs to install drivers on the system in order to isolate programs effectively, so it can't be portable by design.
    "Portable" implies not leaving remnants/traces of use on the system, which SBIE can provide because you can install, use and later discard programs you want inside the sandbox.

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

If you want portable sandboxing you could try JauntePE. Development has stopped, and no 64-bit support amongst other things, though.

4. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

a portable is against license agreement - there is a posting at tzuks forum about.

5. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

Here it is
    http://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2299&sid=9b19b5617920351d984c2807a6d31bae
    SandboxiePortable is a NSIS wrapper that when you open it, it installs SBIE in your drive (it runs like if you had it normally installed) and it uninstalls it on exit
    I'm in to portables myself and i use this very often when i want to get the files from an installer that can not be extracted. It works great on XP and with an older version of SBIE that i prefer (3.46). I can' comment on newer versions or OS. But if you use SBIE realtime i see no point using the portable

6. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

Windows 8 (++) needs version 4 - v3 wont work.

7. david banner

david banner Registered Member

so it is the programs inside the sandboxie that are portable?

8. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

You can say that.

Your first step is to install Sandboxie in your system like you do with any other program. Then you can create sandboxes to run programs in or to install programs sandboxed. If you install, for example, a browser in a sandbox, you can keep the program for as long as you want and once you delete the sandbox, all traces of the program are gone from the computer. Just like when you delete the folder of a portable program. So in a sense, "installing a program sandboxed" works about the same as installing a portable program once the programs are gone from the computer.

In the link, Tzuk is talking about installing a program sandboxed in one computer and carrying the installation (USB drive) to another computer and use it there as well.

If you like to use Sandboxie to install programs as (sort of) portable then do as I explained in the first paragraph.

Bo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.