Portable DNS Cache and Firewall

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Snoop3, Jul 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

i saw this "Portable DNS Cache and Firewall" and it has a nice GUI. Seems to be better than Acrylic DNS in most regards except that it only allows wildcards but no regex in the blocking filters for now.

CachePage.jpg

http://www.verigio.com/products/portable-dns-cache/default.html

also, it seems to be a commercial product but they don't list a price on their website that i can see, just says "trial version".

2. Elvandil

Elvandil Registered Member

It just so happens that I am looking for something now. With a satellite connection, a local DNS server can knock 2 seconds or more off from a DNS lookup. That's not beans.

I am using Acrylic (latest 0.9.22) but am having problems. It just doesn't work as advertized (even with pages I have visited, if I do a lookup, it still goes to the relay server once, even though it should already be cached), so I'm going back to an earlier version to check it out. The monitor program I found for it to give it a GUI also does not seem to be able to find files that are right in the same folder, so that has not worked well, either. Just disabling the service and running the console works very well, though, but I'm not sure that the console saves its cache (I'll find out as the day goes on).

I'll try this, too. Please let us know if it expires. Thanks for the heads up.

(I'd also be curious if anyone was ever able to use the AnalogX FastCache program on Win7. The exe has no icon (default file) and no tray icon appears for me. It also seems to do nothing. This in spite of extracting the installer and checking the files that way only to find they still seem to be lacking. He updated it for Vista, so 7 should work.)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  3. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

it's been updated to version 2.0.1

now works with PeerBlock and allows to select the DNS servers - awesome :)

(trial version good thru March 2014)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.