Portable Applications

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sfi, Nov 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sfi

sfi Registered Member

Recently, I have come upon websites that say anyone can make portable programs. I found that very interesting but I think it is very hard. Their definitions of Portable is :

Small
    Can be run without installation

Should portable programs not write in the registry too? I have found a program called JauntePE that helps with this but it is still in alpha. Is there a Free program that can make a normal app portable?

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

The quick and dirty method is installing the application into Sandboxie. Then going to the physical files in the sandbox and copying them to a test directory. Then run the .exe. If it works, great. Many consider portable apps though to be able to be configured so that a save file/preferences, such as an .ini, can be used from the portable drive. In other words, just because it runs from a copy/pasted directory, does not mean that it is not putting an .ini file or something in your MyDocs folder.

If you like the app, keep the test directory and delete contents of sandbox. All done.

Sul.

4. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Create ur own portable softwares---VMware ThinApp
    Run any version of virtually any application on a single operating system without conflicts. You can even run multiple versions of the same application. Plug VMware ThinApp, formerly known as Thinstall, into your existing management infrastructure and accelerate your software development and desktop deployment. Deliver and deploy applications more efficiently, more securely, and more cost-effectively with agentless application virtualization.
    * Package each application with its own DLL file and registry changes to eliminate installation conflicts
    * Execute applications on locked-down PCs in 100% user mode
    * Run applications from any media without needing admin privileges

U can use sandboxie also ,that is first method i try actually then i go for vmware thinapp

5. guest

guest Guest

i can use any sofw which is need admin privileges?

truecrypt example

6. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Or install it in Returnil mode and copy paste it's Programs folder to another partition and see if it still works after reboot?

Just tried it with Comodo's new Windows Tweaker and it seemed to work ok.

7. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

8. Sully

Sully Registered Member

lol, we are such geeks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.