Port Issues

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by 2134, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2134

2134 Guest

I need to open up Port 135 and 445 to allow Public Access to my network...please dont give me a schpeal about security. They are stealthed right now and they should be closed or open.

Doing ports scans revealed that they are stealthed. No firewall except a linksys broadband router. Tried setting up port forwarding...no go....dmz is not that smart....

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Port forwarding is indeed the proper mechanism to open ports into your network from the outside. So, what do you mean that you set up port forwarding and it is a no go?

When you say you did port scans and they show stealthed, do you mean from the Internet you scanned towards your public IP address on these two ports and the result was no response (aka stealth)? If so, are you aware whether your ISP / network provider is blocking those ports or not at their border routers? I'm afraid a great many network providers are doing just that - especially for TCP Port 135 incoming to their networks. They implemented such global blocks to slow down the spread of recent worms that were hitting their unprotected customer's PCs. If they are blocking those ports are their routers, you may not ever be able to use them.

3. 2134

2134 Guest

My isp says they are not blocking these ports...yet when i do a shields up (grc) scan on my intenet ip i get all close ports except 135 and 445 and a few other random ones....there is a server for purchasing tickets that accesses a outside server through port 135 and obviously it is recieving no requests...also the credit card authentication program is using port 445 and that also is stealthed and is recieving nothing because it is stealthed....

4. 2134

2134 Guest

what i mean by a no go is it didnt unstealth the port or work to allow an outside connection via TCP

5. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Well, the proof as to whether your ISP is blocking those ports or not can be seen by watching for the blocked traffic on incoming TCP ports 135 and/or 445. Open the router's management screen, goto the Admininstraion > Log screen and open the Incoming Log window. Leave that there and from another window start a new GRC port scan. Refresh the log window and you should see all kinds of blocked ports from their address. If you see TCP ports 134 and 136, but nothing on TCP port 135, then the traffic is not reaching you at all. Therefore, it is blocked further out on the network, such as at your ISP.

6. 2134

2134 Guest

Thanks for the info did what you said and it is not recieving scans on 135 or 445 so it is somewhere outside my router......hope there isnt some firewall hidden in here.....

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.