Port Explorer v1.600 Released

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by Jason_DiamondCS, May 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

A new version of Port Explorer has been released! Port Explorer v1.600 is a mostly bugfix release with a few small things added. You can now download your copy (both the evaluation and full release versions of 1.600 are available) from the official Port Explorer website :-

http://www.diamondcs.com.au/portexplorer/

Here is a list of whats new in this version :-

-Fixed SocketSpy window saving its position incorrectly when minimized.
    -Fixed rare bug in DLL with apps that use socket functions overlapping with closesocket().
    -Fixed a possible bug in which memory for a socket may not be released.
    -Fixed small issue in resolve utility with displaying very large hostnames.
    -Added more states for status of sockets.
    -Stopped a DLL being used by Port Explorer when on operating systems other than Windows 95, decreasing memory usage on all other Operating Systems.

-Jason-

2. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Jason - FYI - As of 11MAY03 only the evaluation version 1.510 from cnet is showing available.

HMSS Q Section

3. Jason_DiamondCS

Thanks QSection,
    fortunately it still is giving out the new v1.600 DEMO so I will update that site now.
    -Jason-

4. Q Section

Hello Jason

A second FYI - Spybot Resident intercepted an unwanted download from the cnet (PE) site which is Avenue A Inc. This was intercepted before the download commenced for PE. Also we successfully downloaded version 1.600 now.

Thank you.

HMSS Q Section

5. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Sounds like the Spybot resident monitor detects PUSH browser technology. This is a good thing in the case of a download site..

You should even email support and ask them about it, I would recommend they build in a list whereby the user can specify sites they want to allow to do this ;)

6. Q Section

We are not sure which support site you mean, Spybot or CNet? We thought a download of Avenue A Inc. was definitely something we all did not want

HMSS Q Section

7. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Spybot :)

Ok im not sure about your initial post now.. What was the download detected ? Wasn't that the actual download of PE starting ? Or do you mean an ad popup or something. If its an ad then just leave it blocked and dont worry :)

8. Q Section

After a bit more research it turns out to be spyware in the form of a tracking cookie. There is some more info here: http://www.safersite.com/PestInfo/A/AvenueA.com_Spyware_Cookie.asp

It is not too big of a deal but spyware nevertheless. Some users do not have their cookie control fully down yet although it was intercepted here. :)

Thank you for the great work and help.

HMSS Q Section

9. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

This is an interesting observation Q Section , this is not the first time that spyware has been loaded on a user of Diamond products . I remember saying to you Gavin in february the same thing when registering as a new user one was required to go to dcsresearch .com to get access for the forum and a commission junction spyware was loaded on all users system,unbeknown to them. Maybe some one is collecting statistics on all Diamond users

10. Jason_DiamondCS

Hi SolarPowered Candle.

We link Port Explorer's download to download.com (as many companies do like WinZIP) to generate more interest in Port Explorer. Having said that, if you are worried about a cookie on your computer, you either disable cookies (which is possible on the DiamondCS site, it will FULLY function without cookies enabled), or stop browsing web sites. Nearly every website drops a cookie to help with the browsing experience or to track visitors or whatever. 95% of people appreciate cookies because it makes web browsing easier for them, for the other 5% they should disable cookies... doesn't get much more simpler then that?

We can't control the cookies used on download.com . If download.com use cookies to track people and you don't want to be tracked, don't allow the cookie. DiamondCS only has one part of the site which uses cookies and thats the forum, the forum will still work without cookies though. dcsresearch.com is no longer owned by DiamondCS hence our privacy practices do not apply to it.

Read our privacy statement if you want more information :-
    http://www.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=privacy

-Jason-

11. solarpowered candle

Thank you Jason for your reply. I personally dont have a problem with cookies, however I always thought there was a diffirence between cookies and spyware.

12. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

There is a difference between spyware and cookies.
    But the subject here would be so-called tracking cookies, that are found by Spyware removers.
    They can however be blocked in the same way other cookies are blocked.
    Or (if IE6 is your browser) by using SpywareBlaster you would block every tracking cookie known to mankind to start with and worry about the rest later. ;)

Regards,

Pieter

13. solarpowered candle

:) Yea ok except red sherriff however thats not really the point I was really making but gee i will shut up lol

14. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

That's not what I wanted to accomplish. :)
    I just wanted to stress the difference between drive-by-installing spyware and placing a (tracking) cookie.

15. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

You people seem to forget the dcsresearch.com site has nothing to do with DCS anymore and people are warned not to go there because (unwanted) cookies planted on your system if you go there.
    Before the the DCS forum was connected to that domain name, not the current website.
    Just only use the link to the DCS forum in my signature and you're ok.
    For me it worked to delete the DCS forum cookie and visit the forum another time, login, since then the F5 brings me to the forum, as well as using the URL of course, or use the little Forums.SS3 script i ever posted there to jump to this forum here or at the CS site.
    Anyway, watch your cookies :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.