Port Explorer v1.350 Released

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by Jason_DiamondCS, Jan 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

A new version of Port Explorer has been released. You can now grab the latest copies of both the evaluation and full release (if your a registered member) from our webpage :-

http://www.diamondcs.com.au/portexplorer/

Here is a list of whats new in this version :-

- Some Windows XP users reported 'menu blackening'. This was caused by Windows XP stealing the menu brush handle, but we've developed a workaround.

- Added UDP remote address and remote port information (you can now see DNS lookups and other UDP-based IP addresses).

- Fixed a rare problem where in some circumstances people were unable to run the EXE due to a strange issue in the anti-debug routines.

- "System" socket detection is now more reliable, fixing problems some people had where all sockets appeared as system ones.

- The closing-down dialog now hides the main window, and also fixed a possible problem that may occur if the user clicked Exit twice in quick succession.

- Fixed packets and bytes sent/received being incorrect in rare cases. Thank you Brad.

- Added "double-click" to the main display to show properties of the selected process.

- German Translation added., thanks Frank Rogall.

- Updates to helpfile - translators section updated, OS Specific Notes updated, and a "Whatsnew" page detailing.. whats new ;)

2. Jason_DiamondCS

SnapDragin and others, please tell me this version fixes your black menu problems :D
    -Jason-

3. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

Win2k with new 1.350. Windows has closed port explorer twice and produced this log if that may help:Event Type:   Error
    Event Source:   SENS

Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( SENS ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following information is part of the event: Event System Win32 Error: No service is operating at the destination network endpoint on the remote system.

, ServiceMain(): RegisterDeviceNotification() failed.

Event Type:   Error
    Event Source:   WinMgmt

Description:
    WMI ADAP was unable to create object index 1848 for Performance Library RSVP because no value was found in the 009 subkey

Description:
    WMI ADAP was unable to load the perfproc.dll performance library due to an unknown problem within the library: 0x0

Event Source:   PerfNet

Description:
    Unable to open the Server service. Server performance data will not be returned. Error code returned is in data DWORD 0.
    Data:
    0000: 34 00 00 c0 4..À

Description:
    WMI ADAP was unable to create object index 2022 for Performance Library MSDTC because no value was found in the 009 subkey

Description:
    WMI ADAP was unable to create object index 2244 for Performance Library ISAPISearch because no value was found in the 009 subkey

Description:
    WMI ADAP was unable to create object index 2136 for Performance Library IAS because no value was found in the 009 subkey

Event Category:   None

Description:
    WMI ADAP was unable to create object index 2212 for Performance Library ContentIndex because no value was found in the 009 subkey

Description:
    WMI ADAP was unable to create object index 2236 for Performance Library ContentFilter because no value was found in the 009 subkey

4. Jason_DiamondCS

Do you have any more information? Do you have the eval. version or full? What was your installation method, did you install over the old one or uninstall then install?
    -Jason-

5. MickeyTheMan

Full version. Closed running version, and installed over.
    Program runs ok otherwise, except for these 2 times .
    I even reopened it right away without problem when it happened

6. Jason_DiamondCS

Did you reboot after install? I've never seen a log like the one you showed... weird error.
    -Jason-

7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Jason, i suppose it's best to uninstall the old version and after reboot install the new one like in most cases?

8. Jason_DiamondCS

Well yeah, if you are having problems its best to uninstall first, then install the new version. But if your not the safest way is probably just to install over the old one. The installer takes care of everything nicely :)
    -Jason-

9. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Not having any problems and not looking for them either :)
    Forgot i have to do with more advanced and responsible software / installation here :p

10. MickeyTheMan

Yep, did reboot.
    I'm crossing my fingers. Has not happened in the last few hours.
    Will keep an eye open as to what exactly i was doing if ever happens again

11. Phil

Phil Registered Member

XP Pro SP1 on dial-up

Just had ver 1.350 go goofy on me this morning. Installed over top just after the announce here and booted. Everything seemed to work OK. Previous versions seemed to have trouble deciding if my fw was a normal or system service app. This one seems to have decided it *is* system. :D

Anywho, did a system shutdown last night and restart this morning. Started PE and went online. Started newsreader and watched activity before dropping PE to tray. Started browser and right after browser loaded dbl-clkd PE to bring to screen -- nothing happened. Checked Task Mgr and PE was using 100% of CPU. Had to use Task Manager to kill PE. Waited a few minutes and tried to start PE again. The GUI popped up as expected but was blank. Waited a minute and X'ed off and got "Program not responding". Clicked yes to close. Shut down 'net connection after closing all 'net apps. Checked error logs and found nothing. Started PE again without booting -- this time no problem. Have started and stopped app a few more times and sent to tray and back up with no more problems. It may have just been an abberation. <shrug> If it happens again, I will do a clean install and see what happens from there.

Other than that one little side show, it's lookin' good. :cool:

Phil

12. Hagbard

Hagbard Registered Member

Hi,

There's still a small inconvenience: help from within PE does not work, i.e. either Help -> Index or pressing F1 yields no (visible) results.
    The file is ok though, I can open it, it's just...not from PE.
    PE 1.300 showed the same behavior.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    H.

XP home, sp1

13. Broke

Broke Guest

Love the app, and would have no prob buying it but 7 months of being unemployed and a family to support prevents me... :'(

Can anyone tell me of a freeware app or combo of apps that would give me the same quality of result...any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

14. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi Broke,
    welcome here. Sorry to read about your situation.
    Would not be aware of any of this security level. There are some very nice free other tools on the site, and Port Explorer, TDS and Wormguard weach have a free evaluation period in which you might find a solution.

Hi Hagbard,
    not heard before from that help problem, are there any files size 0 in the directory (to be removed)? It sounds like the XP helpfile problem; is it with more helpfiles on your system?

15. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Broke - What's your OS? Pete

*Jooske - Got it done this morning - order placed successfully for PE.

16. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Congratulations Pete! sounds really great!

17. Broke

Broke Guest

Spy1 I have 98se on my main and xp on laptop

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.