Port Explorer says port 53 is known to be used by RAT: Muska52

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by ash_s137, Jun 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ash_s137

ash_s137 Registered Member

How can I verify this and if it is something terrible how can I remove it? Google search was pretty fruitless and I can't find any of the .exe programs that the RAT is meant to run.

EDIT - Excuse me, I just realised this lists the potential RATs that operate on this port. At least that's what I figure. Every time I download the Trojan Hunter trial version the scanner does not run, it does not even open, so I'm paranoid...

I have a-squared personal but can't use Trend Micro's online virus scan nor any online trojan scans I've tried. Does anyone know what I can do? Thanks again.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2006
  2. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi ash,

Port 53 is the DNS port so it's conceivable that lots of programs (good or bad) could use it.

Possibly that won't help you much - but just take care before randomly blocking ports.

Mike

3. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi MikeNash
    You are referring to "remote port 53",... yes?

ash_s137,
    If you are not using your PC as a DNS server, then nothing should be bound to the local port 53.
    My limited knowledge on this indicates that "Rats" (+Variants) will operate on any port they can.

Have you still concerns on this? Possibly more info?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.