port explorer deactivates apache

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by hoverbike, May 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoverbike

hoverbike Registered Member

After I install port explorer on a system that is running an apache web server and after REBOOTING (as the installation asks me to), my web server is no longer accessible from the outside world.

My apache is installed using this package:

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

Please advise.

2. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi hoverbike,

The conflict was discussed a bit here > Apache stops working when PE is installed. As far as I know, there is no fix (or, at least, one that worked for me). TCP Spy also breaks Apache. PE and TCP Spy, for example, cannot be used while running the NVIDIA nForce firewalls, which depend on the Apache service for an administration interface.

Nick

3. hoverbike

Forgot to mention some details:

Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition (with all latest windows updates)

XAMMP 1.5.1
    Port Explorer 2.110

4. nick s

nick s Registered Member

When I get a chance I'll put that setup together, but I doubt that Apache will work.

Nick

5. hoverbike

Thanks Nick. However that thread is 3 years old. The moderator suggested installing a later version Apache. My Apache should be one of the latest version if not the latest since it is part of a recent XAMMP.

Could someone at DiamondCS look at this issue once more?

6. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Agreed. It would be nice to see a fix. At the time, I did my tests with the latest Apache 2.* available.

Nick

7. hoverbike

> When I get a chance I'll put that setup together, but I doubt that Apache will work.

Hi Nick. Just curious, are you part of the DiamondCS team? I ask this because I find it slightly odd that you would put up the effort to "put that setup together" to see. :) Thanks though, I really appreciate it!

By the way, you might find it funny why I would install XAMMP over a 2003 Server when it already comes with everything. Answer is, I'm a big newbie when it comes to web servers. I didn't know how to "turn it on". I installed XAMMP and apache "just worked". My main reason for wanting to run port explorer is so I can monitor the connections to my Apache. Is there another way to do this without port explorer? I know I can run netstat but it doesn't stay persistent with constant polling and updating and the command screen cannot be resized horizontally. Thanks.

8. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Nope, not associated with DCS. It's always been an interesting problem and I don't mind taking a look at it again ;). It's a no frills MS app, but it should work well on 2003 > Port Reporter.

Nick

9. nick s

nick s Registered Member

You could also use a "tail" app to watch log files change in real time (whether generated by Port Reporter or Apache's built-in logging). I use HPS WinTail, not free, but you can try freeware like Tail XP. For simple Apache connection viewing, I would just "tail" Apache's log.

Nick

10. hoverbike

Tail XP works pretty good for me except if someone is downloading a large file from my website, the log entry for the "GET" won't show until AFTER the user finishes downloading the file.

Do you know if there is a way to get the built in netstat of windows to monitor only a specific local port, ie. Port 80? I did a netstat /? and I didn't see any option for monitoring a specific port.

I downloaded Microsoft's Port Reporter and when I run it, it just gives me a blank DOS/Command box that closes itself after like 10 seconds.

Ultimately if they could get Port Explorer to work, that would be the best. I'm still waiting for a reply from the devs on this thread.

11. hoverbike

Some more details for the devs to help them solve the problem:

After installing Port Explorer and BEFORE rebooting, my web server still works and the PE works too except it won't show the bandwidth usage of each connection. After I reboot, then the webserver stops responding to the outside world.

My XAMMP uses the following versions of components:

Apache/2.2.0 (Win32) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.2.0 OpenSSL/0.9.8a mod_autoindex_color PHP/5.1.1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.