Port Explorer Clone

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Juggernaut, Feb 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Registered Member

Is there any chance of developing a program that works like Port Explorer did, but for the Vista platform? PE had great qualities that don't seem to exist in any current software of like design.

I'm really surprised nobody has come up with a replacement for it yet.

2. MsFluffyMuffin

MsFluffyMuffin Registered Member

I really couldn't agree more with Juggernaut, I love Port Explorer and I haven't been able to find anything to replace it, it's a crying shame that Jason can't create something similar, I mean I know AD & RD take up most of his time, but surely Jason could put together something ;)

How about pulling a Port Explorer clone out of your magic hat Jason :D

Hugs,
    Fluffy

3. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Registered Member

Guess Jason didn't like this idea. I kinda figured he was in on the development of the original.

4. MsFluffyMuffin

MsFluffyMuffin Registered Member

I think its a shame he cant do something like this, it would be another great product for him and us, maybe its something he could consider doing when he gets the next version of GSS finalized, we will have to wait and see Juggernaut :)

Hugs
    Fluffy

5. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Well I was the main developer on Port Explorer, but didn't really want to make a competitor product while PE was still selling. I have had interest in doing something similar since there were some features I wanted in Port Explorer that obviously I couldn't add once I left DCS.

I'm not certain on the status of DCS at the moment though, the website is down so yeah. I won't be making a standalone PE type product, but GhostWall in GSS will certainly have some PE-esque type features. That's all I'm going to say for now. ;)

6. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Those looking for an alternative may want to check out CommView or Wireshark for packet sniffing. My favourite is VitalAgent (which began life as NetMedic). While it is principally a connection monitor (with troubleshooting features more relevant to dialup users) version 9.4 did include a very nice packet sniffer (better than PE in my view since it offered better protocol decoding - see below).
    VitalAgentIT2.png

Unfortunately the site hosting VitalAgent 9.4 (lucent.co.jp) has disappeared - version 8.0.1 is still available here but does not include the sniffer. I still have a copy of 9.4 so could send it to anyone interested (it was a free download, 2.4MB in size).

I'm fairly sure it doesn't work in Vista though.

7. YelloWasp

YelloWasp Registered Member

I'm interested can you please send me Vitalagent 9.4

8. Paranoid2000

PM me your email address and I'll send a copy on.

9. Paranoid2000

Since I've had a few requests for this, I've uploaded the file - anyone wanting a copy can get it from:

http://www.uploadpro.org/NNBPRMO2OTGO/vait940.7z.html

Although this is a 7-zip compressed file (see 7-zip, IZArc or TugZip for related compression/extraction software), UploadPro appears to download it as an .exe file requiring you to change the extension to .7z first (it doesn't modify the file in any other way though - I ran an MD5 checksum on the contents to verify this).

One thing I should note - VitalAgent did send connection details (using vcc.exe or vccmgr.dll) to its authors (NetMedic/INS/Lucent). This is unlikely to do much now but I would suggest blocking any outgoing connections involving these two modules if they occur, just to be on the safe side.

Aside from that, I hope posters find it useful.

10. YelloWasp

YelloWasp Registered Member

Thanks Paranoid2000 for the upload of VitalAgent 9.......:thumb:
    I have Vista Ultimate I installed VitalAgent 9 and it works OK........:)

VitalAgent version 7 and 8 won't work with Vista.
    You will get BSOD after installation............:argh:

11. SafetyFirst

SafetyFirst Registered Member

Thanks for the program, Paranoid.

There is another thing that evades me here. I downloaded this software from the link you provided and then I downloaded 7-Zip too (because I didn't have it before). I did it through Tor network, that's why it surprises me that 7-Zip is in my language (which is not English BTW). How come that website knows from which country I am downloading it if I am behind Tor? Shouldn't Tor provide anonymity?

12. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

7-Zip installer will detect the language your Windows copy uses.

13. Paranoid2000

SafetyFirst,

Glad you like it! It's a pity Lucent don't still offer it since they seem to have put quite some effort into developing it from NetMedic. It also doesn't report on Tor traffic making it of limited use there (there are profiles that can be set up for different traffic types, but it isn't obvious how to create one from scratch).
    Your browser will tell every site you visit your preferred language - check sites like Leader Network Tools or BrowserSpy to see what else it reports.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.