Port Explorer and NOD32 B2

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by Harold77, Mar 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harold77

Harold77 Registered Member

I don't know if others are having this problem, but if I install PE 1.35 or 1.5 the NOD32 B2 Imon function no longer checks incoming mail or annotates e-mail as having been scanned by NOD32.. I'm using Pocomail BTW.

If I uninstall Port Explorer, disabled the Imon function, reboot, reenable Imon and then reboot again, NOD32 B2 e-mail checking returns to norrmal.

If I run LSP-Fix it (with or without PE installed) it shows imon.dll in the right pane... if I hit finish, it kills the Imon function in NOD32 B2.

Apparently there is a major conflict wtith these two programs... is this a problem with Port Explorer or Nod32 B2 and how do I get it resolved?

2. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

We will do further tests in regards to Port Explorer and Nod32 B2, but asking the Nod32 people should help also. Remember Nod32 is in BETA so I'm sure it has bugs which will be fixed.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=6336

Well if you go and visit the NOD32 beta forum on this very site you will find a lot of people having problems with NOD's LSP, so I would guess its a problem on their side since Port Explorer works fine with other LSP's .
    -Jason-

3. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi Harold,

Installed NOD32 Beta 2 (the current distribution) which seems to be updated since the other day - you can ask the support team whether or not it actually is updated.

Anyway, no problems with scanning incoming mail, and the scan notification text IS appended.. but outgoing mail seems to go out fine even when a virus is attached :(

Here, Port Explorer was installed first.. so perhaps uninstall the beta of NOD32 and see if installing PE first helps. I'll keep trying things to see if I can replicate it, but the ESET support team should be able to help you out about this :)

4. Harold77

Harold77 Registered Member

I plan on posting this problem in the NOD32 Beta Forum as well.

I tried uninstalling NOD32 B2 and Port Explorer, then re-installing PE and then NOD32 B2, but the problem still persists.

Unless someone else is experiencing this same problem, it may just be a combintion of the software I already have installed and the fact that I haven't done a clean install of Win XP in over a year, so who knows what useless junk may have accumulated on my system in that time.

I'm getting my new computer either today or tomorrow, so with new hardware and a fresh XP install, I'll put Port Explorer in first and then NOD32 B2 to see if I still have the problem.

5. Andreas1

Andreas1 Security Expert

There's a reply and fix from the eset ppl. (thanks and cheers go out to them!):
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=7822

Also, they claim that there's something that PE does - let's say - suboptimally.
    The explanation Marcos gives to how NOD will soon handle this (re-routing when a lower layer has been removed) imho does not mean that it's necessary PE's fault, but i'd like to see some comment on the fact/claim that PE routes directly to the lowest layer, not to "the one just below".
    Is that true and if so, is it intentional? Can it do harm? Under what circumstances? Does it good? How?

TIA,
    Andreas

6. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Yes it does do what Marco says, no it won't cause "harm". It will be fixed in an upcoming version due to be released in a few days.

What this bug does to some software, like Nod32 and SpiderMail, is to not let them scan incoming mail. NOD32's bugs look like they are also being worked on, they are a bit more major (losing network connectivity) , so it should all be fixed pretty soon in regards to Port Explorer and Nod32.

-Jason-

7. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

:) Nice to see two software companies actually accepting their own problems without "blaming" & "flaming" & working together to make each of their products better!

Well done DCS & Eset! :D

8. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Of course! That's the way forward, and keeps all users from both companies happy. We do say already NOD32 runs fine beside the DCS products, we just keep saying it :) and it's a fine choice to be complete in av/at/aw/a.... whatever anything

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.