Port Attacks, how ESET 5 handles the threat

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by SpenceQ, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpenceQ

SpenceQ Registered Member

Hi Everyone!

First Post.

On occasion I get a red ESET 5 message popup that a port is being attacked. It is a Chinese origin.

My question is, is this something I need to take care of, or is it telling me ESET is handling the problem?.

I had already set up a Web Access Protection to block out a range of ports that included the ISP it reported.

So why notify me if I already set it up to block it? Can't understand what is happening here.

Thanks for the help.

Spence

2. HealingStargate

HealingStargate Registered Member

I get the same 'port scan' notice. A very persistent group or individual.
    To my understanding it is just showing an 'attempted' attack and that there was no response from my computer, no open ports.
    As I understand it, NO PROBLEM.
    I know ESET has done its job.
    KOR-

3. SpenceQ

SpenceQ Registered Member

HealingStargate:

That was my feeling also. Thanks for the help. :)

Blocking out huge segments of IP's in ESET will eventually get me in trouble of course when I notice I can't access my regular sites.

The problem with this facility is when the troublemakers start to use proxies, then no blocking is possible. Since this chinese group uses the same 2 IP's all the time to target america, I guess they feel confident no one can go over and give them a bleeding nose.

What we need is a reverse damage system. We gotta beat them by their own method and that is just has possible for them has for us.

Spence

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.