port 113 not stealth

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Kentish, Mar 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kentish

Kentish Registered Member

As you may deduce, I am unable to fully stealth port 113 on my pc after running ShieldsUp.

I have right clicked on the file, saved as, imported and clicked the check box. I have then saved the rule, but still it doesnt stealth.

I will add, I am trialling LnS again after a previous trial some while ago, but Sygate which I was running before is getting too much of a brake for online gaming.

Any ideas?

2. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Kentish,

Are you using the StandardRulesSet.rls or the EnhancedRulesSet.rls? If you are using the Standard, try the Enhanced.....

Internet Filtering >> Load... >> EnhancedRulesSet.rls >> Open >> Apply

Regards,
    Kent

Attached Files:

3. Kentish

Yep, running the enhanced rule set.

Is this something that only works with registered versions?

I must add also that I downloaded version 2.04, not the latest beta version.

4. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

This should work with the 2.04 version and without having registered (during the 30 days trial period Look 'n' Stop is fully operational).

In some cases, your internet provider can answer directly to the identd port without your PC seeing the packet.
    When you were using Sygate, was the port Stealth ?

Frederic

5. Kentish

Doh, how stupid am I, router was providing unstealthed indication as having taken the router out of the equation I am now totally stealthed.

But that begs the next question...why does the router do that?
    (I apprciate this is probably a retorical question)

Thanks for the replies.

6. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

It is not unusual to see routers configured this way. Some servers (ie. mail and FTP) expect a response to Auth/Ident querries (service/port 113), even if it is a simple closed response. Without this, there may be a delay in the conncection to the server and service provided.

You have nothing to worry about the closed response for port 113, you are still secure. If stealth is a must for you, a work around some people will use is to forward port 113 to an unused IP on the LAN, which will usually stealth this port to port scans.

Regards,

CrazyM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.