Popular games at Wilders ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Fly, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

When I was younger I used to play games, mostly what were called 'adventure games', strategy games, a few shooters like Doom and Quake II.

I haven't player a computer game in 5 years !

What games would you recommend ? I've seen a ton of games in local shops, but I have no idea which ones are worth the money.

The multi-player ones that require you to stay online for many hours to participate in a group are probably not my choice. I know how time-consuming they can be ! 6 hour gaming streaks are not my favorite, most of the time. Besides, you have to invest a lot of time or money to become competitive with other players.

I just got myself this new Windows 7 64 bit computer, it's not very good at graphics but the rest is fine.

2. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    What a little bit of fun..esp for office workstations that don't have cranked graphics cards?
    www.quakelive.com

Basically Quake 3 running inside of your browser, and it's FREE!

3. roady

roady Registered Member

Your gaming options will be limited.....check your specs and buy the games that don't exceed them.....most games have screenshots available @ their homepage,so you can form yourself an opinion about how they look.
    If you're in any doubt,download the demo and try.....

4. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

I suggest you look around at FilePlanet.com
    They have game demos, beta and also some good free-to-play games. Try them out if you like it, you can buy it from the same site via their online shop direct2drive.

5. Sully

Sully Registered Member

A rough guideline:

quakeIII - geforce 3x is enough
    call of duty 2 -- geforce 5x works nicely
    battlefield 2 -- geforce 5x is bottom end
    call of duty 4 -- geforce 7x works well enough
    call of duty MW2 -- geforce 8x and above seem fine
    bad company 2 -- geforce 8x is bottom rung

hypothesis -- if you don't have at least equivilent to geforce 8x, don't bother with most newer games. I have an 8800gtx, now a number of years old. I paid $600 for it then, and it can still play most of what I want to play, which is not much. Onboard video solutions, just are not going to cut it IMHO.

Sul.

Edit: with that in mind, as has been said, options are limited. As an old school pc gamer, you will find most games today are rpg or rts of some sort. Call of Duty and Battlefield are the primary players in FPS. MOHAA is a ghost anymore, so are the Tom Clancy titles. There are some with potential, but I think most of the focus has gone to consoles, so pc is lacking. I suppose there is always Unreal Tournament though or Counter Strike.

6. s23

s23 Registered Member

F.E.A.R

The first one and the two expansion packs I'm sure your computer can handle (I run it here at medium graphics with a ATI x1200 onboard).

The F.E.A.R 2 and the expansion REBORN need a Nvidia 8x - ATI equivalent to play good I think.

F.E.A.R 3 is in pre-sale.

Nice FPS with good gameplay, effects and storyline.

7. Sully

Sully Registered Member

oh, nice call. I forgot about fear. The original will play fine on g4-5x.

Sul.

8. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Only game played on this computer > START > All Programs > Games > Solitaire :D

9. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I browsed the titles in a local shop today. Nothing I liked :(
    Lots of console games though.

Btw, my graphics card is a NVIDIA 9500 GT 1024 MB.
    How good/bad is that one for games ?
    I tested the scores of my Windows 7 pro 64 bit system, and while I am not sure, I think the graphics card got a 2.9

There are some games for win95 and win98. I'm not sure if those work on my computer.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  10. s23

s23 Registered Member

There is something very wrong if your Graphic card got a 2.9. Mine with the onboard VGA is 3.4. You installed the vendor drives? A 9500GT can handle atual games... not at maximum, but can handle. There is DOOM 3 and Condemned. At youtube there is alot of gameplay videos, You can take a first look there. Regarding old games, I run a Win95 game in windows 7 called "Criatura Crunch" for my little brother in compatibility mode without problems.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  11. noblelord

noblelord Registered Member

I second Quake live.

http://www.casualcollective.com/ can be quite fun if you want something to do for a couple of minutes.

12. Fly

Fly Registered Member

My mistake. I just checked the numbers.

Graphics aero: 4.2
    Graphics games: 6.3

So I'm fine. :)

13. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

Fallout 3 is a fine game

14. cgeek

cgeek Registered Member

Half-Life 2 EP. 1-2, Left 4 Dead 1-2, Portal any game made by Valve! :thumb:

ARMA, S.T.A.L.K.E.R, F.E.A.R "Fear 2 sucked IMO" or Doom 3. If your pc can handle them.

Also: If there are any Armaholics in here send me a pm.

15. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

16. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Yoo can check some old games, I stoped playing new games, because they miss the quality, that used to be there, like in those games: http://www.gog.com/en/catalogue

17. CiX

CiX Registered Member

Need for Speed :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

18. roady

roady Registered Member

The GTA franchise.....graphics are not that great,but the gameplay is,and your card can easily handle those.

19. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Well my personal favourite series of games is the Half-life series.

Though, last year I bought a game called (Deus Ex) and I just need to say WOW:eek: . What a story, what an atmosphere, it's just really really fantastic. And the Music is the best game Music I have ever heard.
    Deus Ex was developed by Ion Storm wich sadly doesn't exist anymore:(

I am talking about "Deux Ex The Conspiracy" NOT Invisible war.
    Since invisible war, is far from being as good as Deus Ex The conspiracy.

And after I played Deus Ex I felt wow what a Game, I have never played anything like it. And now I am looking forward to Deus Ex 3 or as the title name is (Deus Ex Human Revolution) due to be released in 2011!

So if you haven't played Deus Ex The conspiracy DO IT RIGHT AWAY:thumb:
    It's available to PC, Mac, and the PS2. I played it on the PS2.

So now my fav game rank is the Half-life series and on second place Deus Ex without a doubt:cool:
    And on a well derserved third place all of the Grand Theft Auto games!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  20. bonedriven

bonedriven Registered Member

:thumb::thumb: I like it a lot!!

21. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Heck when that game came out most of us gamers were still funning voodoos and the first generation nVidia card, the "TNT"...16 meg TNT1 card. And then my 32 meg TNT2 card. Back in the days when many gamers were running upper Pentiums II's and early Pentium 3's..in the slot P3 days.

22. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I plays tons of games, from dos titles to relatively new games, although in the past couple of years, I haven't been able to find any really good games.

Currently, I play: UFO: Enemy Unknown, Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe, GTA Vice City, Simcity 4, Operation Flashpoint, Urban Terror, Tropico 2, Live for Speed, Evil Genius, Red Alert 2, Max Payne, Medieval II Total War.

And there's some 20-30 other games, some for reviews, others rarely. I occasionally power Warcraft 2, F-16 Combat Pilot (1989 game), Little Big Adventure, Carmageddon, and a few more.

Latest and greatest: don't know, nothing to make my soul itch ...

Mrk

23. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Oooh! You are dating yourself, fact is I remember that all too well. I remember when I picked up an 8mb sis pci card, wow, that sucker really flew lol.

Of course, I remember when descent came out and the original mech warrior... ground breaking stuff.

Next I suppose you are going to tell me that you too used diamonds shotgun modem technology for up to a whopping 128k (theoretical) connection?

Ah, the glory days.

Sul.

24. bonedriven

bonedriven Registered Member

BTW,no one here plays Starcraft II? I've played a lot in beta. It'll be released on 27th July.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.